Microphone dilemma

NoqNol

I really have no idea when it comes to microphones/ recording. A couple months back I bought the samson studio gt pro recording bundle. I really haven't used it until this past week, and I noticed the recording sounds awful. I was playing around with my phone's video recording and it seems like the audio recording on my phone is better than the C01 Studio Condenser mic that came with the bundle. Does anyone have an explanation for this or some insight on the whole recording bundle?

The pair of monitors include 4.25-inch magnetically shielded, inverted cone, copolymer woofers and 1-inch silk dome high frequency drivers, and they ship with 2x20-watts of power. There's also a USB audio interface, which bodes well for heavy PC users. In addition to the studio monitors, each bundle includes Samson’s C01 studio condenser mic(copy pasted this). The package also came with Cakewalk® Sonar LE music production software.

This could be a good spot to start recording 101.
What did you record?
When you did record ... are you sure that you weren't recording to hot?

I recorded in my room which has no sound proofing, I was rapping, and I have no idea what recording hot means.

yes, but I was messing with different volumes and it doesn't change how my voice sounds. My phone records my voice closer to how it actually sounds and the Samson’s C01 studio condenser mic seems to make me sound more nasally and higher pitched.

Well then what you have to do is play with the microphone placement to your mouth.

Either that or that is how you really sound! :eek:

Without sounding condescending, you probably just need to understand, and get to know your tools.

A phone is designed to take the thinking out of recording. You hit go and it does its job, good or bad.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had some built in limiter or dynamic gain control.

With 'real' recording gear you have to make sure everything is right.

If you're too close to a condenser mic you can overload it with plosives (fast air from the mouth when you say things like "Pick up the Pretty Picture")
If you're too loud you can just plain overload it.
If you don't overload the mic but your preamp gain is too high you can overload the converters.
If you don't overload the mic, and you don't overload the converters, you can still over do it in your software, overloading the output converters.

To make it even more fun, you can do any combination of the above.
All or any of these things can be very unpleasant.

Also, the closer to a mic you are, the less of the room you will hear.
If you perceive the natural room sound as being pleasant, then getting up close to a condenser might sound bad to you.

Proximity effect is something that happens when you are very close to a cardioid microphone.
It results in emphasised bass frequencies. This is something that you almost certainly wont get with your phone but you could get with your Samson.
Moving back a bit or using a roll off eq would help this.

Of course, these are all just guesses.
Can you post a clip?

Without sounding condescending, you probably just need to understand, and get to know your tools.

A phone is designed to take the thinking out of recording. You hit go and it does its job, good or bad.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had some built in limiter or dynamic gain control.

With 'real' recording gear you have to make sure everything is right.

If you're too close to a condenser mic you can overload it with plosives (fast air from the mouth when you say things like "Pick up the Pretty Picture")
If you're too loud you can just plain overload it.
If you don't overload the mic but your preamp gain is too high you can overload the converters.
If you don't overload the mic, and you don't overload the converters, you can still over do it in your software, overloading the output converters.

To make it even more fun, you can do any combination of the above.
All or any of these things can be very unpleasant.

Also, the closer to a mic you are, the less of the room you will hear.
If you perceive the natural room sound as being pleasant, then getting up close to a condenser might sound bad to you.

Proximity effect is something that happens when you are very close to a cardioid microphone.
It results in emphasised bass frequencies. This is something that you almost certainly wont get with your phone but you could get with your Samson.
Moving back a bit or using a roll off eq would help this.

Of course, these are all just guesses.
Can you post a clip?

Thanks Paul. Am dealing with an allergy attack today and can't even concentrate. :facepalm:

Back