Microphone for deeper vocals

JDS123

Hello guys, Ive been researching mics than can handle deeper tones well, such as Peter Gabriel, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Danny Elfman and such.

Something under 250 US dollars

for in room recording

Ive been directed so far to the akg p220, AT2035, rode nt1a,

i have to use my guitar center card right now so preferably something I can get from them.

Music styles will be all types but for now stuff more like Peter Gabriels mellow songs, some electronic stuff such as underworld and moby, and so on.

Anyways, sorry so sloppy, super late and super tired.

Thanks guys

What are you using now, and what's the recording room like? Maybe some samples of what you've done and what you're trying to improve (with a mic purchase)?

While it's purely subjective, and purely IMO, these kinds of voices (maybe save PG) are not ones that need a lot of the detail and "air" you might expect out of a LDC.

You can get 6mos payments on used equipment at GC, so I'd be looking at what I could find in that bin first, if it works.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'm primarily a guitarist and bass player, and some keys.

I've never had a mic.

So far I just got the JBL slr 305 monitors, scarlet 2i4 interface, BD DT770 studio pro headphones, and I'm just tinkering with ableton.

Just in a bedroom right now. Nothing treated yet since I do most through the headphones. However now I got the monitors so I'm moving forward. The room is carpeded and I got thick curtains for closet and windows so that helps a wee bit lol.

Anyways. I just want to ad some vocals to some of my tracks, and I can already sing the mid to lower tones of PG and such naturally. That's just kinda my voice, I can sing like iggy pop strait up, I might do a little bit of rock music too so idk.

Sorry man I'm trying lol, im new to recording stuff so ya know.

I have some tracks though now that I need to get some vocals on so I want to get a mic and start learning with it soon. It's been over 100 degrees here for over 6 weeks or so and I'm an outdoors guy. I need this to cheer me up while stuck inside lol.

My voice have a bit of that natural raspy like PG when I want. Not so much when he sings the higher notes.

Basically I just don't want a mic that makes me sound more muddy or mumbly.

I would like to stick with something new from them if possible but I know what your saying.

I do sound a little nasally I guess, not so much like I'm pinching my nose but, idk.

Something that celebrates my deeper voice but doesn't make it muddier or mumbly lmao wtf I sound like a moron lol.

I've been a musician for over 20 years lol, but when I try and type about vocals I sound like a goon lol.

My voice have a bit of that natural raspy like PG when I want. Not so much when he sings the higher notes.

I would like to stick with something new from them if possible but I know what your saying.

I do sound a little nasally I guess, not so much like I'm pinching my nose but, idk.

Something that celebrates my deeper voice but doesn't make it muddier or mumbly lmao wtf I sound like a moron lol.

I've been a musician for over 20 years lol, but when I try and type about vocals I sound like a goon lol.
No worries :) A few quickies.
They all 'can handle (lowish'. Ok that was a silly.
You might want to think 'less low response, i.e. either the mic's general curve or it's proximity effect. (that 'mic's curve thing can also be done with filtering/eq though.
And depending where you might land as far as allowable working distance- i.e, noisy/untreated room = needing to stay pretty close vs 'good space, not the above limitations.
If you need to work close it steers toward mics with good wind/breath screens and/or less proximity effect. (The land Muddier Mumbly originated from you know :>)

just for the record- I hate Muddier Mumbly.
Everytime he steps up to the damn live mic an says 'Mubff adble meff? thump'.. Everyone has to go "Wuh..?"

Last edited:
No worries :) A few quickies.
They all 'can handle (lowish'. Ok that was a silly.
You might want to think 'less low response, i.e. either the mic's general curve or it's proximity effect. (that 'mic's curve thing can also be done with filtering/eq though.
And depending where you might land as far as allowable working distance- i.e, noisy/untreated room = needing to stay pretty close vs 'good space, not the above limitations.
If you need to work close it steers toward mics with good wind/breath screens and/or less proximity effect. (The land Muddier Mumbly originated from you know :>)

just for the record- I hate Muddier Mumbly.
Everytime he steps up to the damn live mic an says 'Mubff adble meff? thump'.. Everyone has to go "Wuh..?"

Lol funny stuff buddy, don't be pickin on me lol.

Well do you know much about the akg p220, at2035 or the rode nt1a?

Mainly I want to sound warm, but still clear. Outside of the scenarios you speak of, should I scratch one of these three or are they ok options?

No Sire. I have only my direct experience(s s.. :>) which I gave. And a bunch/some with some other mics.
How ever I would be ..skeptical'? -proceed with cautions' on one that starts life with a 4dB bump at 50Hz. What's up with that?

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aau...default/dw88774879/pdfs/AKG_P220_Cutsheet.pdf

First off, thank you for your time, Im sure you got much better things to do on a Sunday.

I just realized I had one beer left in the fridge from last night and got excited lol.

So, you say be skeptical of one that starts with 4dB bump at 50Hz.........................I had to lean back and say to my self, this crazy guy thinks I know what he just said lmao...........kind of kidding though, so what specs would I be more leaning towards?

Is buying a used one from GC an ok idea like another poster said?

what about the AT4040

So as far as the specs, what bump at what Hz do I want lol

If you don't have a single mic I'd start with a good dynamic, cardiod pattern mic and a pop screen/filter. You can use the latter to adjust how close you can get and control the mud that way. (I hear so many bad vocals at open mics because people get entirely too close to dynamic mics. They think it sounds good with that bass boost - maybe to them it does in the monitors, but it usually is unintelligible poo in the house.)

I like my Shure Beta 57a (actually have 2) as a good all around mic that will not sound bad on male vocals (IMO) and then you can stick it in front of your guitar amp if you want to.

My LDC is an AKG C214, which I'm happy to recommend. It works very well for vocals and with acoustic instruments.

I don't own or have experience with the mics you are asking about, sorry.

If you don't have a single mic I'd start with a good dynamic, cardiod pattern mic and a pop screen/filter. You can use the latter to adjust how close you can get and control the mud that way. (I hear so many bad vocals at open mics because people get entirely too close to dynamic mics. They think it sounds good with that bass boost - maybe to them it does in the monitors, but it usually is unintelligible poo in the house.)

I like my Shure Beta 57a (actually have 2) as a good all around mic that will not sound bad on male vocals (IMO) and then you can stick it in front of your guitar amp if you want to.

My LDC is an AKG C214, which I'm happy to recommend. It works very well for vocals and with acoustic instruments.

thank you as well for your time. I can get a rode NT1 for under 200 used from GC. Just saying. It seems they are extremely popular. I will look into what you guys hav said too.

you said "poo" lol.

Well I've been listening to the rode nt1a and it's to harsh to me. So basically looking for something under 300 that fits my deeper slightly raspy voice. Used is fine I guess. All your guys input is greatly appreciated.

There's a catch here in a 'first mic, not harsh, for my voice search. Those being- most mics come with a presence lift in various degrees and frequencies, and then not knowing where our voice's 'harsh edge needs to be 'avoided.
A few typical work arounds can be; a flat mic (like a few large cap cond, probably expensive), and quite a few small cap condensers , or ribbons that roll off naturally up top.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...099b6c03681b249f/p52146_at4041_spec_sheet.pdf
http://cascademicrophones.com/assets/vj_mic_report_p.pdf
http://cascademicrophones.com/assets/fat_head_mic_report.pdf
You would have to provide wind screen / protection, low cut likely, and finally experiment with eq boost (perhaps if needed) where it doesn't aggravate your particular voice.
And IMO, you won't really know the answer re most any mic until you; try them, and put them in the context of your mixes. (There's this thing called 'masking were things end up sounding different once mixed in, depending..

I should point out that there are several versions of the Rode NT1 and that the RODE NT1A and the NT1 have different frequency characteristics.

I don't think that any of the mics suggested in your first post akg p220, AT2035, rode nt1a, are particularly warm but they are good value for money. If you can stretch the budget out or buy secondhand try the Rode NT1000, I use this mic on vocals a lot, it has similar build to a Rode NTK without the valve, but is much cheaper. Street price (discounted price) is reasonable.

Alan.

I should point out that there are several versions of the Rode NT1 and that the RODE NT1A and the NT1 have different frequency characteristics.

I don't think that any of the mics suggested in your first post akg p220, AT2035, rode nt1a, are particularly warm but they are good value for money. If you can stretch the budget out or buy secondhand try the Rode NT1000, I use this mic on vocals a lot, it has similar build to a Rode NTK without the valve, but is much cheaper. Street price (discounted price) is reasonable.

Alan.

i started researching that one, NT1000, is it warmer to you than the nt1a and nt1?

Can you name any others used or new under 300 that would not be so bright, but not super flat either?

Warmer is a bit subjective, different people have different ideas of warm. I do however like the sound of the NT1000 on most voices, it works for mine but I also use a AKG C4000b (made in Austria version) but it will be out of the price range for you. Also the C4000B does not suit all voices where the NT1000 works for mostly anyone.

Again if you don't have a budget for the NT10000, have a look at the NT1 as opposed to the NT1A, the writeup says "It has been developed with a focus on detailed midrange response, coupled with silky smooth high frequencies, and warm, round, bass reproduction". I know some people say the NT1A is harsh? I don't have a NT1A as the only NT1 and NT2 mics I own are the original prototype builds from the early days of Rode and are completely different. I have not tried a new NT1 but do you have anywhere you could give it a demo? You have not put your location in your details so I don't even know which country you are in.

Alan.

My voice has some natural upper mid buzz, that doesn't always play nice with condensers. I bought a Shure SM7b and a cloudlifter CL1 that smoothed out my vocals like nothing else. The only problem is the mic is usually around $350 and another $150 for cloudlifter.

yeah the 800hz nasal maybe, a mic with the low cut switch, proximity effect some already mentioned can really be huge if youre up close type singer, so in that case Ive tried the foam on single diapghram but a Dual Diaphragm has helped me before taking out the lower boom nasal stuff.

the sm7 is kind of cool because it has the metal grate in front to keep a consistent distance and almost no off axis mud.

Back