Microphone of choice

Matt-eC

So you guys probably get this question a lot so I hope my detailed description of my situation helps. Since there is no where even close to me I can't even look at microphones I always watch reviews and research. But I was wondering for 200-300 dollars what microphone would be best for my needs as you guys see it. I am just recording voice overs, no singing or instruments just my straight voice. Room I record in is treated and I use a focusrite interface at the moment. Current mic is just super cheap and both highs and lows are both pretty bad. Mids are alright but still bleh for what I'm looking for. At the moment I'm looking at the NT1A, At4040, and maybe the AKG 214 if the price jump is worth it. Any opinion is helpful and wanted. Thanks, ask if you need any more info.

I don't know where you are located, so I don't know what whether your talking american dollars or other dollars.

However, if you are considering an NT1A, I would suggest you take a close look at the new Rode NT1, which is a very smooth and versatile mike.

I don't know where you are located, so I don't know what whether your talking american dollars or other dollars.

However, if you are considering an NT1A, I would suggest you take a close look at the new Rode NT1, which is a very smooth and versatile mike.

Sorry, yes its USD. Hmm I will go back and take another look but from the reviews ive seen NT1 sounds sort of flat compared to the NT1A. TO YOUTUBE lol

Sorry, yes its USD. Hmm I will go back and take another look but from the reviews ive seen NT1 sounds sort of flat compared to the NT1A. TO YOUTUBE lol
The 1A is hyped in the high end, the NT1 may be flat but it handles EQ well so you can work it to your liking in various applications.

So you guys probably get this question a lot so I hope my detailed description of my situation helps. Since there is no where even close to me I can't even look at microphones I always watch reviews and research. But I was wondering for 200-300 dollars what microphone would be best for my needs as you guys see it. I am just recording voice overs, no singing or instruments just my straight voice. At4040 Any opinion is helpful and wanted. Thanks, ask if you need any more info.

I have the AT 4040 & it is an outstanding mic especially at that price point. I had the AT 4033 and the AT 4040 compares quite favorably to it. I use it for vocals & to record voice overs for you tube videos I produce for my day job. It is a very versatile mic.

If you are looking for a semi high end mic at an entry level price, this is the ticket. You won't be disappointed

If we're talking condenser mics, I'd definitely check out the sE1X or (if you budget will stretch) the sE2200A C.

However, for pure voice work a lot of artists prefer the sound of a large dynamic like an RE20 or SM5. You probably won't get a new one of these within budget but they pop up frequently on the second hand market. I know you mention you recording room is treated but unless the acoustics are perfect, a dynamic would have the extra advantage of picking up less room atmosphere.

I'll second bobbsy, the re20 sounds great even in an untreated room. That and the sm7b seem to be favorites of talk radio. I'd probably get one of those used and call it good.

I'd bet a condenser like the ones you mentioned would be fantastic in a good room. But for voiceovers in a bedroom I'd pick a dynamic. They're a little less likely to pick up page turns, room noise, that sort of stuff.

Rode NT-1A is a safe choice. I haven't been so thrilled with Blue mics for voiceover. The Aston Origin is a nice newcomer at a good price (made in UK). And I like the totally weird looking Neat King Bee, which is at the top end of your price range.

If you want a dynamic mic, figure in the cost of a Cloud Lifter or FETHead to get some extra gain.

I've got them both, and a Heil large diaphragm dynamics, Steen. Problem is they're in boxes in the storage room at my in-laws and it'll be a few more months before I get to unpack them. If you think about it in a few months let me know and I'd be glad to help out.

Oh, and +1 to the cloudlifter...

Back