Microphone Care Question

dsealer

I was wondering if there is any thing to be concerned about if I keep my mics on mic stands all the time rather than put them back in the boxes when not in use ? These would be condenser mics, ribbons, etc.
Thanks,
Don.....

Hey,
No, other than the obvious possibility of knocking them over or whatever, there's no real harm in keeping them on stands.
If the environment has regular big changes in humidity or temperature I'd case them, but in the average occupied home room there's no problem.

It might be worth having soft bags or cloths to hang over them when not in use, just to prevent dust settling on them.

I protect mine with wrist sweat bands covering the side address mics. If I used end address mics, I would probably put a sock over it between uses. If there is one time my mics are in most danger, it is during the process of removing or replacing them on stands.

Never ever occurred to me to cover a mic. Never had issues with just leaving them. In fact, I have quite a few dynamics that have lived in a cold damp theatre on the end of a pier. One is at least 15 years old. It seems just as good as a new one. In the studio, I can't see the point in covering them? I could put the guitars lining the walls back in cases too, but they're prettier than mics!

Dynamics don't attract dust as much as condensers. But condensers only attract dust while powered on, because of the charge voltage on the capsule. That's why dynamic mics are inherently more robust.

It's probably also why no two vintage mics sound and measure the same...

I have had two cheap (£20) dynamics in my garden wrapped in cling film and foam plastic wind gag for over 2 years, rain, hail,sun,snow and they keep going. On that basis indoors they should last easily 10 times as long?

Those standing in my "studio" (spare bedroom) have poly bags on them, open at the bottom. One is an old Reslo ribbon and they certainly attach iron all the time. Capacitors, even when polarized won't attract dust any more than a dymo since every one I have ever seen was in an earthed metal 'can'.

Dave.

Dynamics don't attract dust as much as condensers. But condensers only attract dust while powered on

My Oak table never attracts dust. ;)

Seriously though, the environment will tell you if a cover's necessary or not.
I was at this massive, clean, modern, private, climate controlled studio, and the owner covered his mics every night.
I remember thinking there probably wasn't a lot of need because whereas, on the other hand, if I set a coffee down in my little garage set up it gets a layer of dust on it!

I generally don't leave any microphones out there for that reason but in some nice clean indoor live room, or something, I wouldn't care about leaving mics up, even uncovered, for the duration of a long session at least.

I have had two cheap (£20) dynamics in my garden wrapped in cling film and foam plastic wind gag for over 2 years, rain, hail,sun,snow and they keep going. On that basis indoors they should last easily 10 times as long?

Those standing in my "studio" (spare bedroom) have poly bags on them, open at the bottom. One is an old Reslo ribbon and they certainly attach iron all the time. Capacitors, even when polarized won't attract dust any more than a dymo since every one I have ever seen was in an earthed metal 'can'.

Dave.

How do you like that reslo, Dave?
I sold mine on because people pay idiot money for them and i'd converted it to a solid XLR barrel but, I have to admit, it was a pretty cool mic.
Sounded pretty rich on my deep voice!

depends on the environment. if its a home bedroom studio probably not a big deal...unless you have a dusty and environmentally changing room with humidity etc...
thats just like with truss rods on guitars for travelling musicians facing the weather vs HR gear sitting nice and stable. constant truss rod adjustments vs never.. seems kind of smart to put a physical protector over it which would serve as both, dust and dropping cover.
Blackbird Studios tour video, largest mic collection in the world?.. with Warren Huart (and at 33min into the video) they get to the gear and the mics are kept open in drawers. though the room environment is probably well maintained I would assume for a place that has moving ceilings for reverb rooms!:eek:

How do you like that reslo, Dave?
I sold mine on because people pay idiot money for them and i'd converted it to a solid XLR barrel but, I have to admit, it was a pretty cool mic.
Sounded pretty rich on my deep voice!

No really sure mate. I don't know about your but mine hums a bit. I is a 30 Ohm version and I splashed 40 quid on a special Sowter 1:4 lifting traff but it did nothing for the signal to hum ratio.

I shall dig it out and give it another blow (No! Not literally!) and post my delicate tones. I have another somewhere that needs a new ribbon, they were 'user replaceable but where to get one?

Dave.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Mine didn't hum.
I did have an xaudia transformer put in it but it didn't hum before or after.

How are you wiring it up? Got an adapter to XLR or something?

Re-ribboning would be 'fun'. Perfectly doable but I don't think you buy a new ribbon, as such. You get a sheet and cut what you need from it.
Alternatively, Stewart Tavener (xaudia) does re-ribboning.

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Mine didn't hum.
I did have an xaudia transformer put in it but it didn't hum before or after.

How are you wiring it up? Got an adapter to XLR or something?

Re-ribboning would be 'fun'. Perfectly doable but I don't think you buy a new ribbon, as such. You get a sheet and cut what you need from it.
Alternatively, Stewart Tavener (xaudia) does re-ribboning.

Well, it's not an 'In yer face, Foff hum' but enough to spoil an acoustic guitar recording. It is due I am sure to the wiring from the ribbon to the first transformer, it is not symmetrical 'buck' wiring. This is the 'RB' mic and they were originally intended for close PA use (Reslo supplied pads and you talked to the magnet!) so I doubt they were a problem in The Cavern! If I put my sample in the garden, well away from mains fields it is as the grave. Have to pick your day of course!

I can assure you Sir that the ribbons ARE user fixable! They came in a pre-tensioned plastic frame and were secured with 4 wee (10BA?)brass screws.

Dave.

I think you misread me, maybe.
I've just never seen pre-cut ribbons for sale; That's all.

No, you won't! Believe me I have looked but they were available from Reslo (might have packed a spare? Looooong time ago) . You needed a very steady hand and good eyes (Oh! YOOF! Where did you go?) and decent soldering skills but back then if you weren't a technician, you didn't get far in the recording/PA game.

"Kids" Today eh'!!

Dave.

Dust on the diaphragm is a real issue that degrades the performance of a microphone. Especially when people don't use a pop filter on vocals and the moisture from the breath condenses on the diaphragm and fuses the dust to the surface. I have been buying and repairing a lot of used microphones over the past year and most of them have significant dust on and around the diaphragm. So, I keep my mikes either covered or put away between sessions. I've also started putting a bag of dessicant in every microphone case near the capsule which was recommended to me by a manufacturer of high end microphones. I bought 50 little re-usable dessicant bags on eBay for 10 or 15 bucks. They have blue crystals that turn pink when they need to be dried out in the oven. Cheap insurance for an expensive microphone.

No, you won't! Believe me I have looked but they were available from Reslo (might have packed a spare? Looooong time ago) . You needed a very steady hand and good eyes (Oh! YOOF! Where did you go?) and decent soldering skills but back then if you weren't a technician, you didn't get far in the recording/PA game.

"Kids" Today eh'!!

Dave.

Ah, yeah. We're on the same page.
I thought of giving it a go but never got around to it. The microphone worked and worked well, but I always wondered if it could have benefitted from a new ribbon.
In the interests of disclosure, I said the same to the seller and he had it shipped through Stewart who did reribbon it for him.

Honestly, I could see the corrugating being harder than the cutting. :eek:

One thing I found is if you leave a relatively heavy Chinese condenser on the shockmount permanently, the rubber bands on the shockmount will stretch. I keep mine down for that reason. If the mic is not on a shockmount, I tend to leave them on the stands during a project.

Back