Microphone Care Question

The slip cover from a bottle of crown royal looks nice and comes with a little tie string. Plus you get to drink the crown.

has anyone ever really had some dust issue or humidity issue in the past 50yrs in a normal studio ? (not talking about barns and tractor sheds)

has anyone ever really had some dust issue or humidity issue in the past 50yrs in a normal studio ? (not talking about barns and tractor sheds)
What I learned; Humidity isn't a problem unless -extremely high, or you box/bag them up air tight after close vocal sessions (i.e. very high 'local humidity > leading to condensation that can result.
Otherwise the cond capsule is perfectly fine equalizing to and 'riding the ambient RH. No desiccant needed. No tightly sealed containers.
Loose ziploc bag -again! :>)

I have. Some mics are more susceptible to humidity than others. Sony C37's & C38's come immediately to mind. I have a pair of Sennheiser mkh 405's that were indifferently stored before I got them. I had to send them in for cleaning. It made a big difference in their performance.

that actually makes more sense, the singing creates moisture and leaving it out to dry is best...then loosely bag it.

i suppose in a studio with people and guitars and traffic, they could bang/damage the mics by accident ....i dont have a studio with traffic so thats not a concern.

Hey,
No, other than the obvious possibility of knocking them over or whatever, there's no real harm in keeping them on stands.
If the environment has regular big changes in humidity or temperature I'd case them, but in the average occupied home room there's no problem.

It might be worth having soft bags or cloths to hang over them when not in use, just to prevent dust settling on them.

This is exactly right.
Dust and moisture will be the biggest enemies.

I got a mic on reverb that lacked high end on the front side. The back side sounded fine. I had it cleaned and the engineer who cleaned it said the capsule was dirtier on the front side because people had been singing into it for 20 years. It adds up over time I guess.

Moisture, as in spit, is always a problem. It adds weight to the membrane.

But moisture, as in fog, isn't a big problem for Sennheiser MKH's as they are HF AC driven. All other condensers use DC for polarisation and that means they attract dust and moisture particles. They will stop working in 100% relative humidity. If you need to record in a damp rainforest, MKH's will make a big difference.

In a studio environment, it probably won't matter much.

It's one of the reasons that people who do wildlife documentary audio and movie sets all use MKH's. They're expensive, but they last longer before cleaning or even repair.

Back