Microphone automatically muting itself

McDastardly

Hi,

Microphone: Rode Procaster
Mixer: Alto ZMX52

I bought this combo in Feb 2017 and was working fine. However around Jun/Jul 2017, I noticed that sometimes after switching everything on, it wouldn't detect my voice. With the palm of my hand, I would have to smack the microphone every time I switch it on in order for it to detect audio. After smacking the area of the mic that picks up my voice, everything worked as usual and my voice was coming through.

Now however in Mar 2018, the mic also stops detecting audio at random intervals. I would be recording a podcast for example, the first 10 mins I would have to pause the recording and smack my microphone on 3 separate occasions for it to detect my voice again. Afterwards, it would be fine for the next 50 mins. On another occasion, the microphone worked fine for 30 mins, then my voice would randomly stop being detected by the mic. Almost as if it went on sleep mode. Smacking it again would make things work. Sometimes instead of the audio completing going to 0% input, it would have me at 10% input - again, randomly.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Happy to answer questions if you require more detail.

Thanks in advance for your help - these forums have always been useful for me!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, except smacking the mic :D

From what I read, I'd say the Rode is defective.

If it's still under warranty, get it repaired.

If not, start with buying some surgical gloves...

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, except smacking the mic :D

From what I read, I'd say the Rode is defective.

If it's still under warranty, get it repaired.

If not, start with buying some surgical gloves...

Lmao :D I'm only a little kinky, don't blame me for wanting to smack the mic!

In all seriousness, does anyone think that this might have something to do with the power supply?

Smack the cable or its connectors, maybe it's defective. Have you tried another cable?

Back