Microphone Advice

dsealer

I’d like to ask for some mic advice. I’m planning on making a purchase of a new studio recording mic and was hoping for some feedback. I realize that mics will sound different depending on who is singing into the mic. I also know equipment and room treatment can have an effect on how a mic will sound. But I thought maybe some of you may have experience using these mics or some knowledge on the quality of these mics.
I currently use a TLM 103 that I bought about 20 years ago. It’s never been out of my studio and has never been dropped or abused. I will say that it has spent lots of time outside its box just on a mic stand waiting to be used.
My studio walls have been treated with thick “carpet padding” and the room is very quiet. I also usually run my 103 into an Art Pro MPA preamp, bought about 20 years ago. Sometimes from there into a dbx processor to get some compression etc which I also bought about 20 years ago. I’ve recently bought the Behringer XR18 and use that as an interface into my laptop and I record using Reaper.
I haven’t been happy with my vocal sound for some time and I’ve been asking on different forums for suggestions and ideas. All this could be that my voice isn’t what it used to be but I’ve been thinking about trying a tube mic and a ribbon mic to see if I can find something that makes me feel good once again with my vocals.
So with that in mind below is a list of mics that have gotten my interest for one reason or another. Some are cheap in price while others are a bit more expensive. If things work out I may buy both a tube and ribbon mic at the same time. And then again maybe I won’t, just not sure. If you have some knowledge on any of these mics, either you’ve used them or know something about them I’d be very interested in your opinion.
Thanks and here’s my shortlist,
Don……

Tube Mics:
Avantone Pro CV-12
MXL Genesis Flagship Tube
MXL V67G
AKG Pro C214
Rode NTK Tube

Ribbon Mics:
Avantone Pro CR-14
MXL R144 HE Heritage Edition
Cascade 98-G-A Fat Head
MXL R40 Ribbon

A lot of this ground is currently being covered in this thead: Which Style of Mic Would Be Best Suited for My Voice?

Not having spent the time searching to see if you've posted MP3s of your voice, it's not possible to even provide a personal opinion, which is te best most of us would probably attempt anyway. Certainly the mic you have is pretty good.

A friend brought over his RØDE NTK and we tried it. It was fine, though I didn't think it had anything over my Miktek MK300, which is IMO for my voice a better choice than the C214 I used before. Never tried a ribbon because I just don't have any reason to think it would make a difference in anything I do! (At least their historical fragility reputation has kept me from considering them, as well, since my tight quarters mean things will get bumped around sooner or later.)

Thanks. I really wasn't looking for which is best. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with any of these mics and was able to give an oponion on how it worked. Or not worked for them. I'll take a look at thw Miktek.
Thanks

I do have the Akg C214, MXL V67G, and an MXL R144. I don't use these mics much on vocals any more. My preference lately has been a Miktek C1 ( the MK300 may have a similar sound), an sE Electronics sE2200a II C, either an ADK Hamburg or Vienna mk8, and occasionally and SM7b. Not easy buying mics if you can't try them out. Most of mine were picked listening to demos on Youtube or elsewhere and reading many reviews.

None of those mics is going to have the fidelity of the Neumann you already have. That being said there's a lot of differences in all of them as will always be the case with cheaper (budget) mics. My suggestion is to look at used mics from a reputable dealer with a return policy. And expect to pay more for something better. Even if it isn't the mic for your voice the Neumann has trained your ear over time to hear nuances that these mics on your list simply won't reproduce. I personally have never liked the TLM series Neumanns for vocals. Great acoustic instruments mics though.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's all very helpful. I haven't decided yet on what I will buy but I'll keep you updated when I do.

Thanks again,
Don.....

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's all very helpful. I haven't decided yet on what I will buy but I'll keep you updated when I do.

Thanks again,
Don.....

I've made some choices but still would like some advice. I purchased 2 cheap used mics just to get a basic idea of how they work and what they might do for me. I bought the MLX V67G condenser and the MXL R40 ribbon. However I am eventually going to upgrade both. So with that in mind these are my final lists. I'm not asking which one is best but if anyone has had experience with any of them or has knowledge of their quality. I read reviews but there is nothing like getting personal knowledge from someone who actually knows.

Thanks,
Don…..

XML Genesis Tube
Avantone C12
Lauten Black LA 320
Rode K2

Avantone CR14
Cascade Fat Head
Golden Age Project R1 MK2
MXL R77 Classic Ribbon

I've used the Avantone CV-12 for the last few years. Actually I haven't used it for the last year just because I don't have room any more for its power supply. It was my first upgrade from MXL mics, and I thought it was good. Smooth high end, and the rest of the frequencies sound fine. I wouldn't say its extremely detailed, but it's sensitive and does all of the things that a large diaphragm condenser should do. Mine got a little noisy over time (probably because I left it plugged in and turned on for at least a year straight). The multi-pattern selector is a nice tool for versatility, although I very rarely used it for anything other than cardioid. Overall its a solid mic, though. Definitely worth checking out if you get a chance.

The Lauten on your list is almost a 'one-size-fits-all' mic. It's pretty flat but very true and it's build is probably better than the others. The Rode K2 is a classic. Never heard a bad one. If this is your budget you should seek out ADK mics. There's not a lot in this price range that get close.

When you say you're not happy with the mic sound - what's wrong with it? I'm just wondering off it's your taste that's changed, or maybe the genre of music you now produce, or maybe the mic is indeed on the wane for some reason? The Neumann 'sound' is one many people seek to achieve, yet you want something else - which is perfectly fine - but I'm left thinking it's rather like you've fell out a bit with your favourite restaurant and want recommendations for a nicer one - but we don't know your taste in food, and our advice could be flawed. How many restaurants have I been to on other people's recommendations and never been back?

Could we hear what you want to improve on? Without it, we just all tell you our favourites, which frankly is no help at all. Mine is an AKG 414.

Ill take another perspective in that the sound is a different compressor and not the mic.
I went through mics, then preamps and then stumbled on cranking the crap out of my LA2A plug and was like whoooa, there it is.

So while the mic shootouts payoff and the preamps are fine too, the compression of the two common, overused, and cloned types might be something you enjoy if you havent tried them.

with that said , could be fun and interesting trying some tube mics or ribbons....

Some Mic suggestions and Signal Chain Suggestion.

I owned the Lauten Audio LA-320 ($499) and it is a really nice multipurpose mic for the money.
It does have some noticeable tube coloration but it's not like "47" capsule coloration.

I sold that and bought a second WARM AUDIO WA-14 ($499).
The WA-14 is a smoother sounding mic than the LA-320 with PADS and 3-Patterns.

The sE Electronics 4400A is also in that price range.
Capsules are hand built and it also has PADS and Patterns.

Have you considered upgrading your signal chain?

Many of us here have owned the ART Pro MPA and have at minimum, upgraded the stock tubes to something better (whatever "better" might be...)
Not sure which dbx you are using but the new ART Pro VLA II has been recommended a million times or more here, based on that price range.

I recently bought a used PreSonus RC-500 Channel Strip that I've seen as low as $400 on Reverb etc.
It is quite nice and has an easy to use compression section.
Definitely a multi-purpose tool!
Only down side is that the power switch is on the rear. :-(

I also own 2 Chameleon Labs 7602 MkII Channel Strips that are based on the Neve Channel Strip.
No Compression but the EQ is outstanding and I''ve seen them as low as $400.

I mention signal chain as the Neumann is a nice mic but perhaps it needs "new car"? ;-)

PS-sE Voodoo VR1 ($399) is a great ribbon mic for the money and it, too, is hand built with an off-set ribbon design that adds some highs not found on the ribbons you mentioned. I own one and would like to have 2.

Back