Microphone for acoustic and hight pitched voice

nasca

Recieved my DMP3 last week and now I'm looking for a decent mic to replace my AKG C1000s

What do you guys think would be the best mic
for recording acoustic guitar and a rather thin soft high pitched male voice,
it will be used for recording folk and indie rock/pop

I was thinking about getting one of these, as there more or less whitin my budget:

-ADK Hamburg
-MXL V69M
-AT 4040

As far as I know, all are great choices indeed, though I don't know about the specifics of how they sound on your female voice. Can you try them out at all? If you can, try to get a good listen to all of them.

I can tell you the 4040 is clean and flat. It's not hyped at all, and quite balanced. It gives you a great accurate representation of the source you're recording. It's not my choice for vocals or acoustic because I have better mics for both, though it does the job well. I usually use it more on Female vocals than make though. I use my NTK for almost all my vocals now. The V69 is a tube mic, and I've only ever heard good things about that mic, and I've only heard good things about the ADK as well...

Jacob

I did'nt really like the M179 on acoustic much. If a played around and found the sweet spot on vocals, it worked nice for some things. Kind of bland though overall.

I was thinking of checking out a 4040. Would the 4040 be comparable to the M179?

You get back exactly what you put in with the CAD. If you want something that'll make you sound better, ya gotta try out the chinese flock,

Big Kenny said:
You get back exactly what you put in with the CAD. If you want something that'll make you sound better, ya gotta try out the chinese flock,

I think my room had alot to do with the sound I was getting with my acoustic guitar. Also, I think I prefer mics with some color for vocal/acoustic. Maybe the 4040 would'nt be for me.

It sounds like you aren't into AKG anymore but the C3000 is good for acoustic guitar, harmonies, and high vocals. I don't care for it much on male melody vocals or anything in the lower register. It needs phantom power if that's an issue for you. Just my $.02. Dave ;)

Consider a ribbon mic. I really like the Beyer M500(n), which is great on vocals (really smooths out the high-end). Although not designed for acoustic guitars, it sounds great when pointed at the 12th fret from about 1 foot away.

Back