Which microphone?

Gus Fisch

My name is Gustavo Fisch and I am writing from Buenos Aires. My wife will travel to Spain in February and would like to buy a microphone to record voices in my home studio. I recently recorded an album "Melodía" (Spotify / Itunes) with a Neumann TLM103 from which I had to release myself once that experience ended (I was delighted with its sound and construction). Today I intend to record again but I do not have the money that comes from that range of mics. I'm excited about three microphones that have very positive reviews alike. The AKG P820; The Studio Projects T3 and the RODE K2. At one point I fell in love with the idea of ​​RODE NTR (a tape) but I think I should have a more pro where to record and I do not know if it will work as the only micro but I will only use it for vocals and some acoustic guitar. My question is: What opinion do you have of these microphones and which of them do you think is a better purchase? Two of them are 100% Chinese products and the other Australians. Today I do not know if that detail already matters in something. I use an interface RME Babyface, Sonar 10 and a pre-valve "Mini-pre" of DbX. From already thank you very much. On the Thomann store page I listened to audio samples of the T3 and I liked it a lot but I do not trust the truth of those demos.
Can you recommend other options?
Big hug from Argentina.:thumbs up:

The mic experience is interesting 103 but what preamps and room they had on your album is a factor too.
If you buy a mic, you will plug into your Babyface and in what room?

my 2 cents...
Typically more senstive spec mics will bring in more room, less sensitive mics can help there however often lose the hifreq's, but for male vocals this might be fine with a good dynamic.
There are LDC with 14-15mv/pa sensitivity that might be considered a good choice in a unfinished room with a typical interface preamp.

Shure KSM27 14mv/pa can be had at $200 used- Mixonline review comparing to the U87 "standard".
Ive grabbed the KSM44 for $390 with case, shockmounts and mic clip, velvet pouche....really really nice mic.

Of your three that Studio Project T3 looks really good, reviews on Sweetwater are on the bright side so the transformer type preamp might help?

The TLM 103 might get to $700-$800 used, does your wife whose travelling know how to "haggle with mics"? lol
Theres one on Reverb now used for $650 US w/free shipping...but maybe not out of the country.

I have found the mic samples on Thomann to be accurate but unhelpful - the same as practically every other sample for mics that doesn't have pictures to go with it. You don't know how it was recorded. You don't know where the sound source was - think drum mics where the mic and the drum can be recorded so many different ways. I've found that when you get used to a microphone like your Neumann, whatever you change it for will be different sounding, and only you can decide if the 'different' is better or worse. Coolcat's KSM27 is a good example. Gets really good reviews and I bought one, and sold it again quickly because I personally didn't like it's sound. There's nothing at all wrong with it and I do understand how people like that sound, but it isn't for me. Too bright for my voice and the people I record regularly. I'm actually a great lover of chinese microphones, and have got some really nice sounding ones - but they are not consistent. If you buy another two months later from a different batch it will NOT be the same. Our only really bright microphones are an old pair of AKGs, but one is now playing up and the switch needs replacing, so for stereo we often use the Chinese ones and I can live with the difference.

Any of them. If you record in a good room and have your stuff together as far as mixing and mastering any of them should work.

Back