Mic Vs. Mic Comparison - MXL 990/MXL v63M

xeluveitiex

Hi, I'm a newb here but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this microphone purchase. I'm looking to record mainly vocals, and I'm reasonably sure I want one of the following:
MXL V63M - $70
MXL 990/991 Pack - $80
Does anyone have any experience with both of these together? As I said, I'm mainly looking to record vocals, and I know that the V63M would be the better choice in that respect, but I am wondering if the 991 is worth the extra $10 seeing as I am going to be recording acoustic guitar sometime. I have a dynamic mic that works fine for it but I think the 991 would be better. Anyways, my main questions are: Are the V63M and 990 close in quality? and if it's better to go for the 990/991 package, would it be recommended that I get a shockmount for it? I don't really know what those do, but I'd only be using the 990 for vocals.

Edit: Also, sorry for the gratuitously long post, but what is a preamp and do i need one? Right now I just planned on running a mic straight through my Presonus AudioBox USB into my computer.

I got the MXL 990/991 pack as my first mic set, the 990 has been great to me as far as vocals go, I haven't had the need to upgrade to anything else as of yet.

If your going to be recording acoustic guitar I definitely recommend getting the Pack, you can use both of the mics to record at the same time and get much better quality out of your recording, more fullness to it.

Shockmounts are recommended, they just make it so the microphone is separated from the mic stand, so any vibrations or movements from the ground or stand won't transfer to the mic while it is in use.

Quality wise between the two, I couldn't tell you. I haven't used the V63, I just know I am more than satisfied with the 990/91 pack.

Just google "preamp" for a more professional explanation, there is a preamp already in the AudioBox and for your applications there is no need to by a separate stand alone preamp.

Thanks a bunch. Would you say I could get a pretty solid studio quality sound out of the 990 for vocals? The biggest thing that's deterring me from getting it is the youtube videos I find of people using it don't sound great and the one review of the v63m sounds pretty good. Also, is the shockmount important enough that I need to get it? because If i get the v63m, it comes with it, but if I get the 990/991 pack, I don't have the money to get it.

I would highly recommend that you seriously consider the MXL V67g ($87.) over the two microphones that you mentioned! ;)

I would highly recommend that you seriously consider the MXL V67g ($87.) over the two microphones that you mentioned! ;)

I have the 990/991 pack he mentions and my thoughts are that they sound alright for the price.
But, the V67 seems to have a positive following.

Ronan made vid on microphones and offered up his thoughts on the V67.
Buying your first microphone - Buying a your first micrphone for a home studio | homerecordingbootcamp.com

Harvey Gerst did a mic review back in 2001 and repeated himself here.
Just How Good Is The MXl V67G? - https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/just-how-good-mxl-v67g-313597/

Thanks a bunch. Would you say I could get a pretty solid studio quality sound out of the 990 for vocals? The biggest thing that's deterring me from getting it is the youtube videos I find of people using it don't sound great and the one review of the v63m sounds pretty good. Also, is the shockmount important enough that I need to get it? because If i get the v63m, it comes with it, but if I get the 990/991 pack, I don't have the money to get it.

please refer to my response to moresound.

Also, the shockmount is very useful in that it helps reduce unwanted transient mechanical noise such as walking around, bumps and such.

You might be happier with the V67G. For future reference: For an instrument mic, consider the MXL 603, for a tube mic, the MXL 960 isn't bad either for $200. These mics are also and it appears that they are Harvey Gerst approved.

Back