Mic for vocals - low-key project

warble

Hey all- I used to have a slew of stuff in my home studio and have sold most of it off. This includes my Alesis GT AM-52 Condender. I'm wanting to record a new - simple project (maybe 3-4 songs that I haven't yet recorded). I'm going the computer route (purchasing new audio card, pre-amp(s), and have the software).

I'd like to get a mic I can use for vocals, and possible some acoustic guitar, but not definitely the guitar stuff. I can't afford a new GT mic (think I paid some $450-500 for that one), and am thinking the following:

CAD M-37 - found one at Musician's Friend and supposedly this mic is the same as the CAD M177. They have it for $100 - which seems to be a good deal. I used to own a CAD E-100, and thought it was a little to generous on the high-frequencies. I guess the CAD M-37 uses the capsule from the E-300. I'm investigating Marshal's Mics as well, but again, I'm running real low on funds.

I own an SM57, and a couple 58's as well, and from what I've been reading here, I *could* get by with recording vocals on the 57? I'd like to go the condenser route, but we'll see.
Any advice, opinions welcome. This project isn't a major deal - I'd like a decent sound, but it is more of a personal project and not a project I need to do for a major release.

Thanks! Warren

You can get a decent sound through a 58 or a 57, I use them all the time. I'm not an expert on $100 mics. Is that your total mic budget? The Marshall V67 gets a lot of good press around here, I think that's in the 100-150 range. THe Studio Projects C1 gets a ton of good press here, that's around $220(?). I'm a fan of the new Rode mics (NT1000/NTK), but they run over $350.

Search on the forum for "Marshall V67" or "Studio Projects" and you'll find hundreds of wildly divergent opinions.

sm57 will do you a fine job on vocals....if you need to step up to a condenser, I vote for the Marshall MXLv67....have one myself and its a great mic....it blows everything away near it in $$$......and it can be had for $149.......

Back