Mic too quiet, lexicon alpha, Please Help! :-(

Leena

Ok so to try and not sound confusing. Ive got a little Lexicon alpha mixer and a Dynamic mic (yoga Fx-528 )
Ive been recording songs for over a year with this equiptment. Yesterday I was laying a piano track and then decided to overlay some vocals so switched the cables in the mixer to my mic only. ( like ive always done ) and for some reason the mic isnt recording loudly enough.
Im very, very quiet and if I turn up the gain, I can hear myself but its still quiet and I can hear loads of background noises that i could never hear before.

I've searched every forum and cant find the help I need. I run windows XP and have checked all the volume controls as well as that super hidden Mic boost button ( I read that in another forum )
Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening....and why now? Like I said, I've been recording on this mic with no problems for over a year. It seems odd that its doing this out of the blue.

Please, please help. Im so confused and so upset that I cant get any recording done. If you do have any suggestions, please explain them so i can understand. I dont speak brillaint computer! :-)

thanks heaps in advance! :-)

Try a different cable first. Hopefully your mic hasn't failed.

Are you using Cubase LE?

Im using sony acid to record and have also tried recording in audacity with the same effect.
Since I can still record my piano with no problems Im starting to think the mic has failed. Its so odd as I dont know how this could happen. I recorded perfectly on it 2 days ago.

I'll have to see if I have another cable...I'll let you know any updates. thanks so much for replying.

Bummer. It could very well be a loose wire inside the mic. Do you have soldering experience? The capsule probably unscrews from the top. I have repaired many mics that this has happened to.

Ive tried a different cable ( the only one I had was one that plugs into the instrument jack as apposed to the mic bit at the back ) I could only hear myself very very faintly again.
I dont have any soldering experience and to be honest wouldn't have a clue where to start.

I guess this mic is actually broken then?

Do you know how this could have happened?

yoga Fx-528? Never heard of it. Is it similar to another familiarly named microphone?

Erm, Im not sure....It was a gift from my bloke back in the uk. Its always recorded so flawlessly, Im not even sure how expensive it is. I'm just so bummed that it might be dead already. :-(

Sometimes it just happens. Even with more expensive mics. The yoga appears to be a mic typically used for karaoke. You would be better off purchasing a SM58 than paying someone to repair the mic.

Oh well. Thanks so much for the help guys. Ive decided to pack it up and go and buy a new mic. Lets hope that solves the problem.
:-)

Let us know! :D

Ok so I took my mic and mixer into a guy at my local music shop and he tested it for me and said it was all working great. He told me to change something called line 1 to line 2.....im looking for it everywhere in sony acid but cant find it.
Anyone know where it is?

I have no knowledge of Sony Acid sorry. I can only assume he was speaking about your input routing within Acid.

Back