Mic stand reflection filters... Usefull or gimick?

I don't know if this is the video wmalan was referring to but it's an interesting view nonetheless. Perhaps the best bit is the last third where he discusses why the typical foam in a box or foam on a semi round surface is a bad, not good idea.

That's the one. Wasn't sure I could/should link to it.

Well...just to toss a fly into the ointment....if you do some Googling on this topic, you might across some threads (mostly over at the Gearslutz forum) that discuss comb-filtering issues, with the sE imparting a nasally quality to the sound. I think at the time, the sE was really the only "reflection filter" on the market, so I don't think it was being singled out....unlike today, there are several brands of reflection filters.

I believe the discussion evolved out of some comparisons that Ethan Winer did with his "Portable Vocal Booth"...and that he might have raised the question of comb-filtering issues in a demo video he had done, comparing the differences between the sE and his product.
I think the video was eventually taken down by Ethan...but I was kinda curious what that was all about.

Other than that, on the Gearslutz forums, most people said they liked the sE in their applications, and that they didn't notice any comb-filtering or nasal qualities from using it....though as Bobbsy has mentioned, it seems you really have to find the perfect spot for the mic with the sE (and other wrap-around type filters). otherwise the effects of the filter can become too exaggerated ....though in the end it's about your individual application and what sound you are after.

So I finally had a chance to use the ARF-12 reflection filter this weekend on some vocal tracks. I set it up about 12" back from the mic, and checked the sound with and without it...and while it wasn't a dramatic dead-to-live difference (which I didn't want "dead" anyway)...the RF was having a positive effect by gently taking out some of the backside reflections, and also helped block some ambient room noises from whatever gear was running at the time (the very faint fan noises of some gear...etc)...so in that regard it helped clean up the ambient sound without making too dead, but still a little quieter.

I mounted the reflection filter, pop filter, sheet music clamp-on stand and headphone station all on the same, single vertical tripod stand, and I just added a 5 lb weight to the base of the stand. The whole rig is nice and stable, and I have it all as a single unit...so easy to move it all at once.
I keep the mic on its own stand, so there's no transmission of vibrations from the other pieces...and if the stand with the filters goes down, the mic is not going to crash with it.

Back