Which mic should I upgrade to?

MalikG

Hello all! New to the forum i'm glad to be here!

I'm a rapper (must see a lot of those down here lol) and I'm trying to build my own home studio

I currently have the AT2020 but in around 3-4 months I want to upgrade my microphone to one of the following

either

Neumann TLM 102
AKG Pro Audio C414 XLII
M-Audio Sputnik

Could anyone shed light on the best quality microphone? I know cost doesn't make a difference but I want to be able to produce the best quality work I can from home.

As youve seen from all the other posts like this, you may as well ask what are the best trousers....

Why not start with explaining why you think the mic you have is not doing it for you? Its not about how expensive it is.

Also tell us what else is in your recording chain which will influence the sound just as much.

None of these are handheld mics, but if you are recording under studio conditions, that won't be an issue.
I don't believe the Sputnik is being made any more. You would probably have to look to ebay for one.
The Neumann TLM 102 and AKG Pro Audio C414 XLII are both great mics. The Neumann is a very small mic, but still sounds big.
As Bruiser said, what is in your recording chain. Do you have a good DAW and a good vocal plugin like Izotope Nectar or Ozone? Small tweaks in post processing can make a big difference.

Bad room can kill a good condenser mic from sounding good. Is your room treated? If not treated ask on this forum the best way to go about it before diving in blindly.
The TLM102 and C414 should be able to be tried at a decent music shop. If you can try them out that's the best way to know what fits your voice.

No idea if it would be good for your voice, but one of my own favorites is a Miktek C1

I'm a fan of both the AKG C414 and the TLM102. They both have personalities so it'll depend on you voice (and how you want to sound) which is best for you.

I'll join those who say the acoustics of your room will make a big difference.

As youve seen from all the other posts like this, you may as well ask what are the best trousers....

Why not start with explaining why you think the mic you have is not doing it for you? Its not about how expensive it is.

Also tell us what else is in your recording chain which will influence the sound just as much.

Yeah i know, i've read those threads but I figured if I narrow down my options and detail my recording style (rap) it'll be easier to reach at a good microphone choice. I will detail my recording equipment at the end

None of these are handheld mics, but if you are recording under studio conditions, that won't be an issue.
I don't believe the Sputnik is being made any more. You would probably have to look to ebay for one.
The Neumann TLM 102 and AKG Pro Audio C414 XLII are both great mics. The Neumann is a very small mic, but still sounds big.
As Bruiser said, what is in your recording chain. Do you have a good DAW and a good vocal plugin like Izotope Nectar or Ozone? Small tweaks in post processing can make a big difference.

Thanks for the post!

Bad room can kill a good condenser mic from sounding good. Is your room treated? If not treated ask on this forum the best way to go about it before diving in blindly.
The TLM102 and C414 should be able to be tried at a decent music shop. If you can try them out that's the best way to know what fits your voice.

No idea if it would be good for your voice, but one of my own favorites is a Miktek C1

I'm a fan of both the AKG C414 and the TLM102. They both have personalities so it'll depend on you voice (and how you want to sound) which is best for you.

I'll join those who say the acoustics of your room will make a big difference.

Could you be more specific on how I want to sound I.E I should use the AKG if I want to sound this way and TLM for another way.

As for my recording chain and whether I have a treated room. I don't but when I start recording for my mixtape I was planning on building a small studio booth maybe 2 by 2 small booth that'll be padded in the inside. My DAW is the REAPER and I'm not really familiar with plugins but I'm here to learn. I don't necessarily have a problem with my microphone, I just want to produce a professional studio album for selling a year down and want the best equipment I could afford. I have a mic stand, reflexion filter, pop filter, and a TASCAM US122L preamp. It's a old preamp, my new one short circuited because I plugged it in the UAE when I bought it from Canada. I was going to buy this

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-Traveler-mk3-FireWire-Audio-Interface/dp/B001SIOJZU in around a month after.

Ok im stuck, ive spent hours and hours deciding on a mic, eventually i arrived at a decision to go with the rode nt2a, so ive almost saved enough money for so i went to guitar center to browse and a employee asks what mic im looking for, (rode nt2a) and just when i thought i was sure, he tells me i should go with the sterling st69, as him and a few other employees own one. Theyre almost the same price so that leaves no room for"ill get this one because its supppsed to be as good or better than the other one and its cheaper. I know every ldc mic paints a different element, but from anyones opinion, which would you recomend for rock rap vocals? Rode nt2a? Or sterling st69?

Rule 1: Always be suspicious of advice give by Guitar Centre (or any other music/electronics store) salespeople. They are usually driven far more by profit margin than whether something is actually what you need. You need only read through the many threads in this forum started by people who, acting on advice from a shop, end up with a collection of poor quality mis-matched equipment.

This is not an indictment of the Sterling mic...I've never heard one...but always be suspicious of advice from salesman.

Rule 1: Always be suspicious of advice give by Guitar Centre (or any other music/electronics store) salespeople. They are usually driven far more by profit margin than whether something is actually what you need. You need only read through the many threads in this forum started by people who, acting on advice from a shop, end up with a collection of poor quality mis-matched equipment.

This is not an indictment of the Sterling mic...I've never heard one...but always be suspicious of advice from salesman.

+1 ^ I WAS going to wade in with a suggestion of a dynamic, SM58, better the SM7b and the Electrovoice models. But then I see "US122"! Had one. BOG AWFUL pre amps! No gain and rather noisy. Even close talking they will probably not be that good.

If a new interface (that's what the 122 is, not just a pre amp) is not on the horizon I will go to my default reccy. Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) but one with an attenuator switch.
The advantages are...Better sensitivity than the dynamics, suite the Tascy, but not as high as the LDCs and the pad switch is useful in the event the level is TOO high.
SDCs also tend to be neutral and not add or detract from your voice quality.

I have read good things about the Sterlings but I would still take it back and make YOUR mind up!

Dave. (IF/when going for a new AI, to save you more handwringing! Cheap but good, Alesis i02. Better Steinberg UR22, The NEW Focusrites, Tascam 2x2)

+1 ^ I WAS going to wade in with a suggestion of a dynamic, SM58, better the SM7b and the Electrovoice models. But then I see "US122"! Had one. BOG AWFUL pre amps! No gain and rather noisy. Even close talking they will probably not be that good.

If a new interface (that's what the 122 is, not just a pre amp) is not on the horizon I will go to my default reccy. Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka condenser) but one with an attenuator switch.
The advantages are...Better sensitivity than the dynamics, suite the Tascy, but not as high as the LDCs and the pad switch is useful in the event the level is TOO high.
SDCs also tend to be neutral and not add or detract from your voice quality.

I have read good things about the Sterlings but I would still take it back and make YOUR mind up!

Dave. (IF/when going for a new AI, to save you more handwringing! Cheap but good, Alesis i02. Better Steinberg UR22, The NEW Focusrites, Tascam 2x2)

Wow that's really helpful, yeah they do have unnecessary noise. I won't record anything till I get a better interface. I was thinking of the Focusrites but the models I saw for some reason didn't have the standard mic cord that I have.

I was thinking of the Focusrites but the models I saw for some reason didn't have the standard mic cord that I have.
If you saw the jack below, it's what is referred to a a 'combo' jack. It accepts both XLR and 1/4" TRS plugs. The XLR is generally standard for mics and the 1/4" TRS for line level gear. It may or may not have the push latch mechanism which locks the connector in.

092-045_HR_0.jpg

Almost nothing on the Sterling on Recordinghacks.com, but it seems to be heavily discounted from $1,300 to more like $600 online. For around $600, I would recommend the Rode NTK if you are looking for a tube microphone. The CAD Equitek e100s is ugly, made in the USA, and an excellent mic for around $400.
I have had a chance to use a Neat Microphones King Bee for a week, and am very impressed with the sound as a voiceover mic. It weighs a ton, and a Heil scissor boom can barely keep from sagging into the desk. It looks terrible with a bright orange and black striped transformer, but if you can get past the gimmickiness of it, it's a very good condenser mic.

I think it's the best mic from the list by far, I just prefer the neumann sound, it's personal preference.

I tend to agree...but the 102 is quite a distinctive sound. It's gorgeous on many voices but shows every flaw in others. I'd definitely have it on the short list but that's one that (more than many others) I'd suggest hearing on your own voice before laying out the money.

Back