Which mic should I buy: Rode NT1A or Avantone CK-6

gabbi

Hi there,

I have the option of buying a Avantone CK-6 or the Rode NT1A. Which one would you say is better?

I'm using it for spoken word recording, vocals and acoustic guitar.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Gabbi

BUY ALL THE MICS!!!! :D

Tbf mic choices often come down to personal taste. For example, i'm a big big fan of the Avantone mics and less of a fan of the NT1a, but that's my personal taste and even saying that in some cases i've found the NT1a to be the right mic for the job.

Ideally, it's best if you can go and try them out to see how they suit your needs, but trying mic's in shops does require you to take the results with a pinch of salt as you'll be hearing the sound of those mics in their space through their gear which will probably be very different to your space and your gear. I know it's not always possible to try mics in store, either because the stores don't stock them or, as in my case, the nearest decent music store is too far away, in which case it can be of some benefit to check out clips of mics online. However, these need to be taken with an even bigger pinch of salt as it's not just their room and gear, but it's also someone else's performance. So, although it may sound like strange advice for us to say "buy both", it's not a bad way to go so that you can try them both in your space with your gear on your voice/guitar, see which one suits you the most, and then sell the other on, usually at a very slight loss (although someone pointed out earlier that they see this as an "audition fee" for trying out a bunch of mics).

Back