Mic Shootout: MXL 990 vs. Studio Projects C1 vs. MXL V69 (+/-Mullard tube)

Which mic is your favorite?

• MXL 990

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Studio Projects C1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MXL V69ME with stock tube

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • MXL V69ME with Mullard tube

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Bergen

Hey there,

It's been about a decade since I've been active here. I'm best known for my MXL 990 vs. Blue Kiwi shootout back then that garnered some attention. Anyway, I have a second generation Studio Projects C1 (1st version with pad/rolloff switch; I think they're currently selling 3rd gen), and an MXL V69 ME I recently purchased. I bought a Mullard 12AT7 CV4024 NOS tube to upgrade with. I primarily wanted to compare before and after tube upgrade of V69 ME, but decided to test my older mics as well with my vocals.

So the shootout clips are here: LDC mic test project Music Tracks - Kompoz.com

So here are the details: The mics tested: MXL 990, Studio Projects C1 (pad/filter switch at -6dB/75Hz), MXL V69 Mogami Edition Tube Mic (before and after upgrading tube to a Mullard 12AT7 CV4024 NOS tube). V69 tube mic was allowed to warm up for 30 minutes prior to recording. Two Songs tested: Song 1-deeper register, 6 inches away, straight on. Song 2-upper register, 15 inches off mic, capsule at brow level tilted 20 degrees forward. Vocal samples are 24-bit/44.1kHz mono dry. All recording done in sound booth (see my profile's pics and vids tab for setup here: simplechain's Photo Gallery - Kompoz.com ) and foot placement marked for consistency. Preamp (EMU USB 0404) gain at 5/9 for all vocals. Instrumental snippets for songs posted.

You can play these from Kompoz website where I do my collaborative recording. However, their real time wav->mp3 converter degrades the sound a bit. If you create an account, you can download any of the samples, and mix vox with instrument clips and process as you'd like for evaluation.

For mixed songs (192 kbps MP3s), check these links out to compare SP C1 to MXL V69ME with Mullard tube:

SP C1: I Am Sorry - Stay this Time Full Demo - Kompoz.com

MXL V69ME Mullard: I Am Sorry - Stay this Time-Full Demo Mix2 - Kompoz.com

Note: non-identical recording setup (different days) and processing on vox, yet I believe its still useful in differentiating mic sound.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I was frustrated that the V69ME didn't have many before/after controlled comparisons with new tube, so I hope this helps anyone considering this. I'll hold my commentary and see what everyone else thinks :)

And I'll see if I can post a poll too for your favorite mic.

Brian

Direct mp3 links

OK, this might make it easier. Click on links for direct play, it will pull up your WMP or equivalent and play song directly. These are converted from wav source at kompoz and played as 64 kbps mp3s, so for serious comparison, you can sign up for a free account at kompoz and download all originals. If you ever wanted to collaboratively record with talented musicians from all over the world, it would be a good move anyway. So please leave some replies and don't let this thread die prematurely :D

Song 1-V69 Mullard Demo:

Song 1-V69 Stock Demo:

Song 1-SP C1 demo:

Song 1-MXL 990 demo:

Song 2-V69 Mullard demo:

Song 2-V69 stock demo:

Song 2-SP C1 demo:

Song 2-MXL 990 demo:

Song 1 instr snip:

Song 2 inst snip:

Song 2 mix, SP C1:

Song 2 mix, V69 Mullard:

Last edited:
You're probably not going to find a better bang/buck ratio than an MXL 990. I got a couple of them for grins on super cheapie sale a while back just curious how they would sound. I found to my pleasant surprise that they work *great* on trumpet. Hard to find a mic that handles trumpet well.

This is a fool-around I did a while back, adding horns and vocals to an indie artist's track. Horns and harmony vocals done with an MXL 990

I have been trying to put my finger on what I don't like about the studio projects C1, and I can finally describe it in some detail. It sounds great when soloed, and most people are really impressed with the sheen they hear on their voice. But at least with my vocal tone, it really has trouble standing out in a heavy or busy mix, especially when there's a lot of frequency overlap between the instruments and vocals. I would describe the problem by saying that we have a natural percussive quality to the words that we say, and even if you can't make out every vocal nuance and detail, words can often be discerned by recognizing their percussive pattern, and I believe this is accounted for by the midrange frequency. Given the scooped frequency characteristics of the C1 microphone, this natural percussive pattern to the voice is altered, really challenging vocal intelligibility in busy mixes. Of course, different voices with different frequency patterns may not have this problem, but I thought I'd share my thoughts and why I'm loving my modded V69ME. Interestingly, despite the hyped boost of the V69ME between 5kHz and 15kHz, my modded V69ME is pretty natural sounding and not very sibilant. If you actually download the instrumental tracks and vocal takes between these two mics, and try to mix the two vocal tracks at similar vocal volumes, you'll hear what I'm talking about very quickly. Hope someone finds this useful on this dead thread :)

That is some what the main issue with cheaper microphones. In a dense mix the recorded track with them seems to get lost.

Liking the Song 2, V69 Mullard demo over the stock. Don't know why.

I've never seen a schematic for the V69, but the one I had came with a 12AX7. I wonder if the circuit was designed for/or otherwise benefits from, the slightly lower gain 12AT7. The stock V69 (disclaimer: crappy sound system) has a sizzle to it that is absent with the 12At7, (disclaimer 2: not a blind test and my ears could be hearing what I expect them to hear.)

I have the V69ME and thinking about changing the tube???

The 990 sounded almost as good as the v69 very surprised. the mullard tube in song 2 sounded more full and warm than the stock tube. imho...

Back