Mic setup help: Decent budget

DSA Echo

My previous mic was a blue snowball. It was lovely little mic but it eventually died on me after 2-3 years. Now I have my own job (it doesn't make much, I'm a high school student working in fast food, but it's something), and I am clueless about what mics to get with my own research. I would like to start recording with 2 people at once a little more often, I attempted that with the snowball and it worked but the audio could've been a lot better.
I don't know if I should get 2 usb mics (I think that doesn't work due to windows limitation) a 2 channel xlr audio interface with 2 decent xlr mics (I might get one for now and buy the second one later when I have the funds), or just give up and buy a blue yeti with it's high sensitivity that's good for 2 people.
I would like to be a reasonable price because YouTube is just a hobby and I get absolutely no money from it. I am also very inconsistent with months between uploads but maybe I can try again with higher frequency. I also don't really have a working mic at the moment other than a webcam one and a $10 earbud mic.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance :-)
Edit: I'm a gaming YouTuber and I'd like to do 2 people gaming sessions for recording. I forgot to mention that in the beginning

Last edited:
Scrap any idea to use multiple USB mics. To be honest, if you are starting out, a simple but decent interface from the usual manufacturers coupled to a couple of cheapish condensers will get you going - and most of the mics respond nicely to eq to tame any brashness they might have - but until you train your ears, spending lots of money is a bit pointless. With the exception of the SM58 and 57 I had in the late 70s, most of the other mics I have bought I grew out of - so spending lots is perhaps money wasted. Then you get to the stage where you know the kind of sound you want, and you choose by their sound. Most mics I have bought because somebody else said how good they were didn;t really suit my ears, and I never worry when somebody reviews one of my mics and says how awful they are. There are loads of people selling cheap condensers on ebay for really silly money -less than ten quid! Spend a tenner and try one. You might love it. Or hate it? However, it gets you going and gets your ears working. An interface with phantom that will give decent service for a few years is the more expensive bit.

If you are looking at two people, face to face, you might even consider a cheap figure 8 mic. The BBC used them in between contributors for years because mics were expensive and they didn't have enough for one each. Try things and experiment, but my advice is to start spending at the cheap end. Find out what you like and hate, then move on up as you get better.

How about that 2-xlr or 4-xlr input Focusrite Scarlett USB interface and 2 Aston Origin mics?
The Aston Origin is not a $3000-$4000 U87 but it is a mic you might keep for some time.
Im suggesting this set-up with vocal and music recording in mind as opposed to online gaming, per se, not knowing what that realm requires, specifically.

Back