Mic Selection For Recorder

I am having a big problem with recording a Recorder - you know the instrument you played in 5th grade. The microphones I have, audio technica 813a, produces a sort of mechanicaly reedy sound. I have tried changing the gain on the preamp, turning down the mixer, and changing distance to the instrument but with no success. I've heard that this instrument creates a lot stress on a mic. What microphones should I use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You know, I just got some good results with an AKG C1000 in hyper-cardioid on a flute just the other day. I pretty much set it up parallel to and about 8" - 1' above the flute with the cap pointed toward the mouth-piece.

How's that for a homerecording technique?

The thread at VPS was very good. I think that I may try a pair of SM58s - because of money concerns. I was considering the AKG C1000s. I've tried a couple of EV635As that I had lying around to see if they would get rid of the harshness which they did but they lost some of the presence. Instrumentation other than recorder is viola da gamba, violin, and harpsichord. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by tacet (edited 03-02-2000).]

Back