Thread: Mic for recording violin, acoustic guitar, and vocals

tanders12 is offline Newbie

Mic for recording violin, acoustic guitar, and vocals

Sign in to disable this ad
    My budget is somewhat flexible, but less than $300 for sure. This is my first time setting up a home studio. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, and can upgrade in the future.

I'm planning on buying a USB audio interface.

From the research I've done so far it looks as though something like the RODE NT1 might be a good choice? Or can I get away with something cheaper to start out with?

By the way, I will eventually add piano, electric guitar, cello, and possibly others, but like I said I can upgrade in the future. Violin, acoustic guitar, and vocals are the most important right now.

Jim Lad is offline Why 2K?
    Scottish born, Irish Descent, Living in Canada.
    My research tells me that the RODE NT1A would be an excellent choice, also.
    If I could afford to start out with one then I'd be extremely reluctant to go with something cheaper.
    Everything I've heard and read tells me that this is the first step up from the typical, less expensive, home recording condenser mics.
    One that has good quality, very low self noise and would not be out of place in a professional studio.
    Personally, I'm holding off buying any more mics until I can afford something like the AKG 414 (may never happen) but I'm a fan of that particular brand.
    Cheers ♫
    Jim

Yeah it does seem like a solid choice. Amazon had a nice bundle (pop shield, shock mount) for $200 a few days ago. It's $230 now.

Still open to more suggestions.

moresound is offline Loud Sun Studios
    New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    I would say that the NT1 should be able to cover those three different sources.

The other possibility would be to get two or three microphones that would specialize at each source. As a great vocal microphone may not be that great with a violin etc.

A MXL V67g would do ya good for vocals coming in at about $80. that still gives you $220. to put towards a small diaphragm condenser microphone.
    You can check out a Naiant X S omni Microphone for the violin at about $40. and that still leaves you with $180 for a SDC.
    Well a Rode NT5 SDC is $200. for the acoustic guitar.
    So there you have three good microphones that do really well at what they do, for a total of $320.
    Plus now you have an assortment of flavors, and if you have to you can upgrade your microphone locker in the future you've got a good start.

♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by moresound View Post
    I would say that the NT1 should be able to cover those three different sources.

The other possibility would be to get two or three microphones that would specialize at each source. As a great vocal microphone may not be that great with a violin etc.

A MXL V67g would do ya good for vocals coming in at about $80. that still gives you $220. to put towards a small diaphragm condenser microphone.
    You can check out a Naiant X S omni Microphone for the violin at about $40. and that still leaves you with $180 for a SDC.
    Well a Rode NT5 SDC is $200. for the acoustic guitar.
    So there you have three good microphones that do really well at what they do, for a total of $320.
    Plus now you have an assortment of flavors, and if you have to you can upgrade your microphone locker in the future you've got a good start.

That's an interesting idea. I've never heard of Naiant, and I couldn't find any reviews... are they pretty good? It would be nice to have the mic attached to my violin so I wouldn't have to worry about the sound being affected by any swaying I might do. That would give a more natural feel to playing. How would the MXL V67g compare to the NT1A on vocals? Really the guitar and violin are the most important, I don't really sing that much yet.

TheComposer is offline Senior Member
    Too many mics to choose from!

NoahF is offline Newbie

v67i = 9090

The v67g family also includes the v67i, which has two selectable capsules.
    The "warm" capsule is identical to the v67g. The "brite" capsule may be
    better for recording instruments, but for works well for some voices also.

The point is, you get two distinct sounds, in one mic.

Even better, the 9090 is identical to the v67i, but with a single layer
    headbasket ( a feature which many folks pay extra for as a "mod"),
    plus some upgraded electronic components as well.

Best of all, the 9090 is an even better price than the v67g!

Check this link:

Chris' Guitars - Pro Sound PA Gear and Studio, digiteal recorders, mixers, power amps, effects, microphone EV Shure AKG, new and used

The 9090 is no longer stocked by many resellers, but a bit
    of searching can turn them up.

I have no association with any vendors. Just sharing info.

HTH,
    NoahF

aaronmcoleman is offline The truth is out there!
    Personally, I'd go with an SDC and LDC, at least two mics. Vocals are going to want an LDC, usually. And an SDC should be good for both violin and acoustic guitar. I have just recently used an MXL v67g, and have lots of experience with NT5, I'd say that would be a good choice for your needs.

Or, as I've been recommending to everyone lately, get a Fat Head Ribbon for $175 great for acoustics, banjos, drums, and probably violin too. And also the MXlv67g and be well under budget with two great mics.

I don't recommend anything I haven't personally used and liked. So either set up should cover a lot of ground for you.

Thread Information