Mic recommendation for bad vocalists (live)

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
I keep on volunteering to help run sound for festival-type events where a bunch of local bands of varying skill and experience play.

So what's everyone's recommendation for the best general mic for miscellaneous bad vocalists in a live setting?

Obviously, the SM58 gets a lot of love because it's cheap and durable and gets the job done for pretty much everything. But then you'll get that one metal vocalist who insists on cupping it, and you can't hear anything. Is there a mic that will fix his technique and still work for everyone else?

Sorry, but there's no seat belt, no airbag, no crush zone that will save someone determined to drive 100mph into a brick wall. If someone cups the mic about all you can do is let them suck out loud.

Use an SM57, not a 58 and tape up the phase slots with paper decorators masking tape. This turns the mic into an Omni and so how the goon holds it will not matter.

You might think an Omni would be terrible for feedback? They are not and many years ago a very well respected PA guy had proof he said that they were actually better than directional mics! Sadly he is long dead so I cannot quiz him.

If feedback IS real problem you could try the old trick of taping two identical mics nose to tail and wiring them OOPs!

Dave.

Use an SM57, not a 58 and tape up the phase slots with paper decorators masking tape. This turns the mic into an Omni and so how the goon holds it will not matter.

Poking themselves in the face probably would make people more mindful of their technique...

I keep on volunteering to help run sound for festival-type events where a bunch of local bands of varying skill and experience play.

So what's everyone's recommendation for the best general mic for miscellaneous bad vocalists in a live setting?

Obviously, the SM58 gets a lot of love because it's cheap and durable and gets the job done for pretty much everything. But then you'll get that one metal vocalist who insists on cupping it, and you can't hear anything. Is there a mic that will fix his technique and still work for everyone else?

I might be able to help you with this. The problem is most people come from a garage band background where there is no monitor system that can be used that will ever be loud enough. The theory is that by cupping the mike, it will make your voice more "Hearable" in the monitor mix. But what they don't understand is the mic is also the source for the audience too so the audience gets the same crappy (cupped mic) voice in the mix that even if the singer has a great voice, no one will ever know it.

If they are not willing to change the way they use a mic, and if there is a risk that they are going to ruin a decent mic by slobbering in it like a bulldog? Give them a Sampson cheapie! If they are not concerned about the proximity effect and the lack of volume in the monitor mix along with a crappy sound of a "Cupped Mic". Why should you be? The sound engineer shouldn't have to sacrifice his investment in microphones just because a lead singer got his particular idea on "how it works" from a music video. Or, make the ruin their own mics.

You're giving them way too much credit. It's a fashion thing, like baggy pants and sideways ball caps.

Well, I am trying to be kind. It is like all the rejects walking away from American Idol saying "I'll be back and I will show them". I always hated auditioning new band members too. Fashion be dammed, it doesn't work if you blow into the wrong side of a Blues Harp!

Give them a Sampson cheapie!
No way! My voice sounds better through my Sampsons than the SM58! I'm not letting them ruin those! :D

I'm usually using a rented PA, so I'm not too worried about damage to the equipment. Just getting the best mix I can out of the worst conditions.

No way! My voice sounds better through my Sampsons than the SM58! I'm not letting them ruin those! :D

I'm usually using a rented PA, so I'm not too worried about damage to the equipment. Just getting the best mix I can out of the worst conditions.

I guess that is why I always used my trusty old EV 357. Great mic in those days...still is.

I once played a gig where if you touched a mic with your lips you would get the piss shocked out of you . Im not sure what was going on but let me tell you this, you only touched your lips on the mic one time!!

I remember the sound tech saying he had fixed the problem after everyone complained but even so I didn't see one person come within 3 inches of a mic the rest of the night!

Maybe you could duplicate that??

If you ever need any help with editing vocals, we provide a professional service that can do this for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I once played a gig where if you touched a mic with your lips you would get the piss shocked out of you . Im not sure what was going on but let me tell you this, you only touched your lips on the mic one time!!

I remember the sound tech saying he had fixed the problem after everyone complained but even so I didn't see one person come within 3 inches of a mic the rest of the night!

Maybe you could duplicate that??

I have spent most of my life sneaking up on mics. Polarity baby!

Back