Mic problem - please help!

MadStrum!

I have two mics, a sehnniser 835e dynamic mic and a JTS NX8.8 condensor mic.
When I record using the sehnniser mic, I get a clean sound, but somewhat not as clear as the JTS condensor.
However, I've realised lately that the JTS condensor is giving me a bit of static noise when I record with it. It's veri low in volume, but the quality of the recording is affected, especially when I layer vocals done using this JTS condensor. The dynamic mic does not give me this noise.
Is this to be expected because the condensor mic is picking up more frequencies than the dynamic? Or is it the quality of the mic?
Btw, I record at home doing the necessary acoustic stuff, towels stuffed under the door and curtaining up the windows, things like that.
Also, I find that the condensor gives me a clear but thin sound. My voice is more to the thin side. Will a large diaphragm condensor like the studio projects B1 give me better results?

Thanks.

Pier.

Yo MadStrum! Insufficient data, dude. In order to answer your question, I would have to know where the noise floor is coming from. Sometimes condensers can be sensitive enough to pick up ambient noise that is rejected by dynamics. In other words, are you sure there isn't something in the room that is humming or hissing, or whatever? If there is, a better mic may actually make it worse. If the mic is creating the noise, then yeah, any decent mic will fix the problem. You have to start plugging different things together until you are sure where the noise is coming from. Then, somebody here will be able to tell you what to do about it. Good luck.-Richie

Back