Mic Problem

mcfarlane1000

Hi, just got a Neweer mic NW-800 and it is so quiet. I have plugged in a phantom power supply and it is still very quiet. what can i do?

Last edited:
$30 Microphone with an XLR to trs 1/8" male mini-plug.
Can't tell if it's side address or end address.
Looks nice, though!
McFarlane, I need more cowbell, I mean, Detailed Information!
Can you tell us more about your entire setup?
Microphone into (?) phantom power unit and (?) out of phantom power unit into....................................................?

IM not even a pro

So I'm only a beginner to home recording, I only want to record song covers and maybe play ukulele. I have a Neweer microphone as previously stated, and I also have a Phantom Power supply. I plugged my mic to phantom using m/f xlr cable, and into the computer using XLr to 3.5mm jack. It records if i go really close but also when i try to sing it sometimes buzzes and goes so loud it is quite a fright to the ear as it buzzes loudly like someone is screaming in your ear, but right before it is normal. If i even go five inches away it doesnt pick that much up, and it is definitely getting 48volts from the phantom power, so i dont understand what is wrong with it. oh and also my computer is nothing special. Dell Optiplex 755 (I know, its hardly good enough) but i didnt think that would be a problem. I don't own any mixing boards, and I can hardly work audacity effects-wise, so I am a complete beginner, have not yet successfully recorded a full song without those really loud parts and buzzes and without the loudness staying balanced.

You may need to open up your computer's "Control Panel" and check within the Audio Manager section to see if the Audio Input Jack is "On" and the Input Volume is "Up".

Although your personal recording needs are minimal at this time, recording might be a bit easier if you could afford one of the 4 items below or something similar:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo | Sweetwater.com

PreSonus AudioBox USB | Sweetwater.com

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Studio Pack | Sweetwater.com

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio Bundle | Sweetwater.com

Last edited:
what homestudioguy says ^^^

An interface will be of great benefit.

My guess is that the on-board soundcard and its 3.5mm input are not up to the task.

Back