Which Mic and Preamp to buy?

carryonsteve

I'm looking to purchase a quality mic and preamp for my home studio but seeing that there's thousands of options, I'm kind of lost. I'm no professional but wouldn't consider myself an amateur either. I'm willing to invest a decent amount of money into this, seeing that I would do so anyways if I went to a recording studio to record, so I don't want a cheapo setup. I would be recording mostly vocals and some acoustic guitar. I know that every mic works different on every voice, but it would be nice to have a mic that is a bit more universal. I heard the Neumann U87 will sound good on pretty much anything, or at least won't make anyone sound bad. I know that I should try out different mics but can't really find any place to do so. I tried Guitar Center once and they were being super rude and said no... so I'm not going back there. Besides they have a very limited selection to choose from. Right now I'm looking at either the Neumann U87 or Telefunken AR-51. I found a pretty good deal for both of them. As far as pre amps, probably the Avalon 737 or Universal Audio la-610. Anyone have a good solution for my setup? Something a bit cheaper perhaps with similar quality?

By the way if you want to hear a vocal sample of someone I'll be recording often, here is a link: youtube.com/watch?v=1vLCZ2ZD4fM

From the video she is obviously on an M149....and no my budget isn't that high.... something in the 3k or less range for both mic and preamp... maybe a bit more if it's really worth it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I like my LA610MKII - picked it up mint on eBay from a fellow Canadian for 1100 US. Good quality in it`s class. I`m using it with a Sputnik and an NTK. I`d love to own a U87AI.

Wow, I don't have a mic recommendation, least not for a voice as good as that! Get a good one because she is going places!!!

Back