mic pre-amps

Wantro

I have a shure sm-58 that I am trying to record to a digital multitrack. I am having trouble getting a good recording level. Could someone explain mic pre-amps, with some reccomendations possibly. Thanks

A microphone preamplifier converts a microphone level signal into a line level signal so that it may be recorded to tape or output to an amplifier.

How well the mic preamp does this is the true worth of it. If it does not color or impede the signal coming from the mic, then it is good. Although, sometimes the color (or how the unit changes the sound from the original sound) of the preamp is what is desirable about it. Preferences vary quite a bit.

I am quite sure that a consesus on this BBS would probably favor the ART Tube MP. A single channel unit is just over $100. It is a very high quality tube mic preamp that cost's a heck of a lot less than say a NEVE which would sell used for about ten time the price for a used one.

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

I use a JOEMEEK VC6Q which is adds a lot of warmth and fatness to the sound. It's made in the U.K. and also has compression and an equalizer. A good preamp which colors the sound in a nice way.

if your looking for a pretty cheap one i got my Audio Budy pre amp for 100$ it lights up my shure 58's. although there is know eq( you should have on the mixer)it was well worth the 100$

Back