Mic for Piano....need help

mknight

What kind of mic should I use to to record an accoustic upright player piano? I currently have a condenser mic and several dynamics..will these suffice? Mknight

what mics do you have, name some names, then we'll go from there. also include if you have any money to spend on new mics, if yuo should need to.

ametth

...then again, why dont you just try the mics you have and see if they sound good, instead of asking someone else if they sound good, just a suggestion.

ametth

micing techniques for piano are highly dependent on the type of material being played. most pop and rock pianists use close micing, such as a pair of small capsule condensers about 10" from the strings near the hammers, while jazz and classical pianists use more distant mics, such as a stereo pair (ORTF condensers or blumlein ribbons) at around 6-10 feet depending on the quality of the recording space. for uprights, i have seen pretty good results using a pair of small condensers placed just above and on either side of the performers head, simulating approximately what the player hears. typically, though, you will open the top and use a pair of small condensers just inside or at the opening. the key with micing pianos, like almost anything else, is to experiment with placement. there is nothing wrong with mixing condensers with dynamics, though better mics and preamps will always improve your results.

Back