mic modification ie adding a tube?

cello_pudding

I searched for 990/991 mods and someone said cap modding the 991 would be cool and making the 990 into a tube mic would be cool.

i searched hard for something...so i'm sorry if this is asked a lot

is this possible? feasible?

what sort of steps would i have to do? i've done soldering and projects before, but it would be my first mod.

and if someone could explain cap modding the 991, that would be nice too.

-cp

I suspect the Cap Modding would entail replaceing the Electro"s with Polly or Film Caps and/Or replaceing low quality caps with High quality caps....

As for adding a Tube I think that would be a Project for a very electricly advanced Person...as you would have to Modify the whole curcuit and I don"t think there would be room inside a 990 or 991 for a Tube as most of the Tubes I have seen are nearly as big as a Mic....

The person who can probably tell you what you want to know is "MShilarious" as he is very electricly savy especially when it comes to mics and other audio equipment....

Good luck

Minion said:
The person who can probably tell you what you want to know is "MShilarious" as he is very electricly savy especially when it comes to mics and other audio equipment....

Good luck

Actually I don't do much with mic tube circuits at all, . . . I think maybe PhilGood or dgatwood might know something more about that. Or check the Meta thread at the prodigy-pro.com/forum

cello_pudding said:
I searched for 990/991 mods and someone said cap modding the 991 would be cool and making the 990 into a tube mic would be cool.

-cp

...the body of the 990 is too short to handle the classic Royer tube modification...an MXL 67, 2001 or 2003 would be more the proper choice for modding (along with many of the other generic Chinese LDC mics)...here's a link to the original mod as performed by David Royer:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/tube_mic_25_1.shtml

kidvybes said:
...the body of the 990 is too short to handle the classic Royer tube modification...an MXL 67, 2001 or 2003 would be more the proper choice for modding (along with many of the other generic Chinese LDC mics)...here's a link to the original mod as performed by David Royer:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/tube_mic_25_1.shtml

Maybe if you dropped the transformer in favor of a transistor circuit? It would save quite a bit of money too . . . transformers are expensive :o Of course that would beg the question what sort of circuit does one really want? A simple transformer swap and component upgrade is much simpler than adding a tube, with its requisite power supply, and might give you most of the sonic benefit.

The only circuits that interest me much these days are phantom powered circuits . . . maybe I should have a closer look at my AT3060 . . .

I'll have to think about this. If you did the circuit board as a disk, there's probably enough room. Use a sub-mini tube. David royer did a tube mod for the 603s, so room isn't really an issue. You can just put the transformer in the power supply. That's the way Sony did the C37.

I'll bet it can be layed aout to fit!

Shit. Now I'm gonna have to buy a 990 just too see. :mad: :D

This question has to be easier:

Need detailed instructions on replacing the tubes in MXL-V69ME's...Tubes are on the way, have removed the outer shell of the mic's to scope out the physical stuff...Looks to be a bit "delicate" as far as taking it all apart...Any help here?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

PhilGood said:
I'll have to think about this. If you did the circuit board as a disk, there's probably enough room. Use a sub-mini tube. David royer did a tube mod for the 603s, so room isn't really an issue. You can just put the transformer in the power supply. That's the way Sony did the C37.

I'll bet it can be layed aout to fit!

Shit. Now I'm gonna have to buy a 990 just too see. :mad: :D

Phil,

I've got a question:

Does the Tube modification HAVE to be inside the Mic?

Couldn't you just wire the element directly to the XLR out, and then have the Tube mods inside a separate case?

Just wondering.

Tim

Tim Brown said:
Phil,

I've got a question:

Does the Tube modification HAVE to be inside the Mic?

Couldn't you just wire the element directly to the XLR out, and then have the Tube mods inside a separate case?

You can put the transformer outside the mic, but the tube is the buffer, and the leads from the capsule to the tube need to be as short as possible. Therefore if you are using a tube, is has to be in the mic body.

You could use a transistor for a buffer instead, but then you'd have a solid-state mic with a tube pre stage in the power supply. Not exactly the same thing, but it could be interesting.

Back