Which Mic. with Mid Boost and Clear High End for under $1000?

Rode K2 and Potential Gain Problems with Shure SM7b

Yesterday I started testing the Rode K2 and the Shure SM7b.

Very interesting 'results', which I will post more about later on.

I have run into the problem that a lot of people seem to encounter with the SM7b, which is a difficulty in getting enough gain from my Presonus Firestudio preamp. I was O.K. today because one of my songs has a fairly loud vocal and acoustic guitar part, but I am fairly sure that I won't be able to get the gain I need with quieter stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey gvdv There are in line boosters that can add +20db but for the life of me I can't find a link to show you. I know one is a Trident and there are a few others maybe cloud lifter?

I'm sure that someone will chime in with the links here. Or you can find them on your own.

Hey gvdv There are in line boosters that can add +20db but for the life of me I can't find a link to show you. I know one is a Trident and there are a few others maybe cloud lifter?

I'm sure that someone will chime in with the links here. Or you can find them on your own.
Hi moresound,
Thanks very much for the confirmation that there are in line boosters.

Thanks, too, for mentioning the Trident. Is this it?
http://www.barryrudolph.com/utilities/trident4t.html

There's also a review of it here
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/articles/trident4t.htm

If this is the unit that you're looking for, it looks like a preamp in its own right, and, given the price, it's more than I am looking for; I was hoping that there would be something simpler and cheaper that would boost the signal a little.

All the best,
GVDV.

All the best,
GVDV.

Nope They are just small *in line boxes* that are no bigger than a half the size of a SM57. I'll look around and post them if I can find them. And cost under $100.

Dang like find that needle in a haystack but HERE is a link to one but there are many more out there you just have to look for the best price this one shows M.F. higher than normal price.

Hi moresound,
Thanks so much for making the effort to find those links for me: I really appreciate it.

GVDV.

Rode K2 and Shure SM7b 'Tests'

I have just finished three days of recording with the Rode K2 condenser, and Shure SM7b dynamic mic., and wanted to share a few of my impressions.

'Method'
First, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the SM7b, even though, in my opinion, the Rode is superior in every way.

I did some plosive tests (decided to use the 'Peter Piper' rhyme), and then recorded a very alliterative sentence that I had concocted in which each word started with and often contained a lot of esses. I used each of these to test the Rode in its three polar patterns, and to test the Shure in its 4 different frequency response settings.

I then spent the last two days recording a song of mine, using the Rode and the Shure to record acoustic guitar and vocals. I wasn't very disciplined about testing the microphones in each of their configurations with the guitar track, but I drove myself crazy recording the vocal tracks.

For the latter, I used both microphones at once, often stopping to change the microphones' settings. Then, for the hell of it, I spent hours singing and re-singing the song on discreet tracks, changing microphone configurations for each track.

Impressions

Shure SM7b dynamic
I really liked the Shure SM7b's 'Presence Boost' setting, disliked its 'Flat' setting, and thought that its 'Bass Rolloff' was effective and O.K.. There is a fourth permutation/'setting' that the switches on the SM7b can be configured to, and which is not mentioned in the brief instruction booklet that comes with the SM7b. I tested that configuration, too, and didn't like the sound, finding it too flat and lifeless.

I ran into a problem with the SM7b that apparently affects some preamps when combined with the SM7b - that of the preamps not providing a lot of gain.

I basically just got away with getting a decent record level with my Presonus Firestudio, but if I buy the SM7b, I might still invest in one of the few 'mic. boosters' that moresound posted about above in this thread (thanks, once again, moresound).

The mic. booster are: the Triton Audio Fethead, Triton Audio FetHead | Preamps @ ZenProAudio.com; the Cloudlifter CL-1 Mic Activator Phantom-powered gain booster for low-output dynamic and ribbon mics, Phantom-powered gain booster for low-output dynamic and ribbon mics; and the Sanken HAD-48 Pre-Amplifier for Dynamic Microphone (Not available in EU area and China), SANKEN MICROPHONE CO .,LTD. | Product [ HAD-48 ].

As everyone says, the SM7b is very good (although not excellent, I found) at isolating all but the audio sources closest to the microphone. I liked this, but wanted a little more 'air'.

Two complaints I have about the Shure that I rented/hired are that I could not change the pop filter (despite following the instructions to do so), and the tightening screws on either side of the mount were totally ineffective, causing the body of the mic. to have to rest on its mount (presumably the screws had been damaged and become ineffective through use).

The SM7b performed well for me in the plosive and Ess tests, although I could detect slight plosives with the smaller pop filter (the one that I couldn't remove), but overall it was quite good.

In the 'Presence Boost' configuration, the SM7b coloured the mid-range of my voice in the way that I had hoped it would, and I found that very pleasing. I also liked the way that the microphone recorded my acoustic guitar.

Overall, in all its configurations, I found the SM7b somewhat 'dark', but not displeasing. My only real issues would be the difficulty in getting a good level, and wanting a bit more 'air' in the higher frequencies.

Rode K2 Condenser
The Rode K2 was impressive.

I liked it more than the Audio Projects C1 condenser that I recently tested at a friend's place, although I would say that both microphones provide - in various configurations - a good impression of the room in which the recordings took place. However, I found that the 3 polar settings on the Rode's power supply each allow more versatile control than either the C1 or the SM7b.

I found that the Figure 8 setting on the Rode allowed me to 'hear myself' the best when singing (i.e., allowed me to singing with the monitor signal in my headphones rather than competing with it), although the Cardiod setting - as expected - blocked out more reflections than the Figure 8 or the Omni settings.

While not necessarily 'dark' in character, I found the K2 to be less 'airy' than the Audio Projects C1, although a lot more 'airy' than the Shure SM7b. But I really liked the K2's sound - I don't really know how to describe it - not quite 'neutral'.....

I found it very easy to get a good recording level with the K2, and found it more versatile on acoustic guitar than the Shure (and, as I tried to say above, it provides more possibilities for voice, I think).

One thing that I didn't like about the Rode was that in two of the three polar patterns I found that my esses were somewhat slurred; I think that the Figure 8 and Omni settings did this, although I don't have my notes in front of me right now to confirm. I found this strange.

I should emphasize that I have only done a bit of preliminary mixing on the track I recorded, so this statement is not conclusive, but it seems that both sets of recordings are somewhat similar in character, and definitely (for me) require EQ boosts in the mid and high frequencies.

Both the Rode and the Shure surprised me with the marked differences between them, and between their various settings/configurations.

I will keep this thread updated as I do more tests.

GVDV.

Last edited:
Since you are renting for the purpose of testing out different mics...rent 1-2 high-end "vocal" mics (there are many, depends on what is available to rent) so that way you will have a serious benchmark.

The mics you tested are decent mics...but if you are looking for quality mic that suits your voice, you might have to move up a notch or two.

Since you are renting for the purpose of testing out different mics...rent 1-2 high-end "vocal" mics (there are many, depends on what is available to rent) so that way you will have a serious benchmark.

The mics you tested are decent mics...but if you are looking for quality mic that suits your voice, you might have to move up a notch or two.

Great idea. And one that could spoil you. A bit of time with a nice Gefell, a Neumann, or perhaps even a Brauner will demonstrate easily, the difference in high-end vs. mid-range mics.

Not to say that you might not like the K2 better..........Another thing you might do since you have the ability to rent, is to rent a complete vocal chain. I'm assuming they have preamps........A nice two channel or perhaps a complete channel strip with compressor, EQ, and bells and whistles.

While it may not be in your budget at this time it would certainly move you towards having a goal......

Hi miroslav and cavedog101,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't really want to get into renting 'high end' mics. just yet....I want to focus my energies on what I can afford (or what I think I can afford!).

miroslav, when I took the mics. back yesterday, I got talking to one of the guys in the music store about wanting a fatter sound for my vocals, and he recommended a Golden Age Pre-73 (apparently modelled on the Neve 1073, as I read later) for mics. and guitars.

So, I rented that, and am looking forward to pressing it into service to see what it can do in my signal chain. It's a shame that I couldn't keep the mics. to try it out with, but I have a couple of dynamics here that I can test on the GA.

I also saw a used Rode NT2000 in the store for $350 (CAN.) and am sorely tempted to buy it, and try it with the GA Pre-73. If I don't like it, I'd have the option to take it back within 30 days.

Thanks, once again for your help, and I will keep you updated.
GVDV.

Back