Which mic for me? AT 4047 / AT 4050 / Sure SM32

rgevol

I know this question is very subjective. But I'd like to hear the pros and cons of each of these mics if you guys have any.

I want to buy a mic for my studio. Small in house studio, running the 1680. I don't have a Mic Pre (next on the list), so i'll be using the 1680's Mic Pre's.

I know the AT 4050 is gonna be the most expensive, but I want to know if either of the other 2 wouuld be just as good?

I'm recording mainly vocals. That'll be 98% of the work, the other 2% would be for acoustic guitars.

So what's the deal on these mics?

Anyone?

Thanks,

rgevol

i think id spend part of the budget on getting a better preamp for vocals...your VS has many good qualities but the preamps arent one....

Used (or new) TLM-103...
Of those listed, the Shure ksm32 would probably be the most versatile because its known to be a pretty flat, unhyped mic.

I have the ksm 32 and have heard a 4047 through a 1680 and have heard a 4050
on alot of differant stuff. The ksm32 works on just about evrything and will not disapoint
you. But when we did a test of the ksm32 and a 4047 they where not bad for vocals
but the Rode Ntk tube mic sounded the best, And it is with in your budget.

You can get the Ntk through Bpm music for about 369.00 the last time I checked.
ANd we where running the preamps that came in the Roland.

How about the SP T-3 variable pattern tube mic? That is in your range I believe and should be very versatile.

The 4050 is a nice mic ..multi pattern..cart, fig8 and omni..kinda a nuteral type of mic..Not very hyped in any particular feq. I've got a Shure ksm 44 and they are very similar..easy mic to work with..The Rode NTK/NT1000 I havent heard..but from all I've read it looks like a great bargin at about $400.00..Good luck and happy hunting!

Don

I have both a KSM32 and an AT4047. I prefer the 4047 as a vocal mic it has a little more more "warmth" and it doesn't hype the high end. I have more of a Joe Cocker/Springsteen kind of voice and the 4047 does a good job of "smoothing out" some of my "harshness".

The KSM32 is what I consider more of an all around mic. While it can work well on certain vocals (vocals which are smooth and controlled) it really excels as an "instrument mic" (accoustic guitars, horns, etc).

I've used both mics thru pres from a Mackie board, Prosonus MP20, Focusrite Voicemaster and Art Tube MPs - and they both sounding very good in every application.

In either case, I have been very satisfied with both mics.

Thanks guys. This is gonna help me out. If anyone else has any feedback, please let me know.

mikeh: Thanks a lot. You really helped me.

Herm: tell me more about the Rode NTK. This sounds like an option for me. It's a Tube mic right? So it must sound pretty warm. Got anymore experience with this mic?

i've got both the NTK and a 4050, well and a 4033.

i like both. the NTK is a bit smoother than the 4050. lately i've recorded acoustic gtr in a MS configuration with the NTK as Mid and the 4050 as Sided FO8. this works. nice and smooth highs. maybe a bit hyped in the lows but nothing that is not handled with a bit of roll-off.

i have not used the NTK for vocals but i have found the 4050 can work, but like most mics it depends on the singer.

seems the 4050 has a bit more "AIR", but nothing to write home about.

i've used the 4033, 4050 and NTK as Drum overheads and i like them all. presently i'm going with the NTK's, but i wouldn't hesitate to any of them, though the 4050 is a bit more versatile with it's patterns.

Back