Mic for interviews

Anticleon

I need a mic most preferably to clip on the collar, for recording interviews.
Can someone pls tell me how to do this at minimal cost. I need a mic which is good in sound quality but at the lowest cost. And do they come with a memory unit? Or can I use it with the laptop? If both are possible then what s the most cost effextive method?
Brand names and links too pls. Im not in the USA so I cant buy from retail shops there. Looking for purchasing online.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I need a mic most preferably to clip on the collar, for recording interviews.
Can someone pls tell me how to do this at minimal cost. I need a mic which is good in sound quality but at the lowest cost. And do they come with a memory unit? Or can I use it with the laptop? If both are possible then what s the most cost effextive method?
Brand names and links too pls. Im not in the USA so I cant buy from retail shops there. Looking for purchasing online.
Thank you.

I have tried a cheap, £20 "tie tack" mic and found it to be of very low sensitivity and thus needing a good, low noise pre amp* to boost the signal. No doubt the expensive kit used by the broadcast boys is far better. (Bobbsy?) .

But consider the logic of what (I think) you want to do. The interviewee has a mic. You have a mic, it will be virtually impossible to keep the two levels matched so they need to go on separate tracks for post tracking balance and editing (fluff, coughs, "aa's?" expletives....) Well rehearsed "pros" get away with poking one mic at the 'wee then having a waffle but usually these are seasoned broadcasters (think F1 circuit waffle?)

So, you need two mics, on stands. NEVER let a punter hold a mic! Never give a punter a script unless it is ONE side of an idiot board in big, bold type. Can he she read? (there is stuff I can't anymore you see!)

*The "pre amp" will be inside the next bit of gear you need, an Audio Interface which plugs into the laptop via USB.

You MIGHT make a decent job of things with a hand held recorder such as one of the Zoom H series but I have never tried one. The cost is not likely to be any less however and I doubt the results as good as an AI and two mics.

Sorry to dump these facts on you but it happens a lot here! The fact is you cannot make good 2 channel microphone recording for an outlay much under £200. I leave you to do the money conversion/adjustment.

Should have said! Do not think for a moment that you can do interviews "on the fly". You must have seen those out takes programmes? People dry and giggle and are shy. As much as the gear YOU need to develop skills that will calm people down and draw out the stories from them. Scripts are VITAL and avoid yes/no answers. And rehearse as much as you can.

Dave.

Back