Mic-ing a kickdrum

Resurrect

Hey, all. I'm looking to mic my kickdrum and am wondering what mic I should use. I've got 3 Shure SM57's, 2 AKG Perception 120 Condensor cardioid pattern mics, and then a cheap condenser cardioid pattern mic I got from PreSonus. I'm planning on using the 57's for snare/toms/(hi-hat?) (I'll be borrowing a couple more to be able to mic every tom in my 5 piece kit). And I'm planning on using the AKG's for overheads. I'm thinking about maybe making a bass mic with a subwoofer speaker, but am wondering if I should do that or simply buy a kick drum mic. Any suggestions? Thought? Ideas? Objections?

Thanks!

Hi,
You can use a speaker as a sub-kick mic but it probably wont have much impact without a regular microphone to fill in that space.
If you have a spare 57 to pair with a speaker it might be an option but otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Also, be aware that you'll probably need to pad down the output so as not to overload your mic pre.

There are plenty of cheap-ish options if you chose to buy a dedicated kick mic.
Something like a d112 wont cost you much and it'll do the job.
It does have a recognisable scooped sound, though, so make sure it's the mic for you before buying. :)

Also, be aware that you'll probably need to pad down the output so as not to overload your mic pre.

Thanks for the advice! I've only got one question:
What do you mean by "Pad down the output?" I'm fairly new to recording, so I'm not yet up on all the lingo :)

If you make the speaker mic, the easiest way to do it is to hook the speaker to a 1/4 connector and plug it into a direct box. It takes care of all the problems

Most kick mics are relatively cheap. The D112 just has an older sound to it. The presence peak is at 3k instead of 5k, like the beta 52. EQ can take care of any of it. I've used a D112, beta52 and Audix D6 pretty interchangeably over the last 20 years. I can make any of them work.

My usual kick setup is a 10" speaker with a 30db pad and a D112, I love this setup. The speaker out front and the D112 inside. Watch the phase between the speaker and the D112 depending on final position you may need to reverse the phaser on either one. I say either one as you then need to check the phase to the overheads. Just use your ears and use what sounds best phase wise.

You could use the speaker with a SM57 if you don't want to buy a kick mic.

Here is an article on how to make a pad for the speaker link.

Alan.

I had to try three different speakers before I got one that went significantly lower than the D112. The first two were from guitar amps - 8" and 12" - they we're strong in the 100hz range - not helpful. Finally a 6" car stereo speaker got me down in the 40hz range.

Anyway I also use the D112 and sometimes the Audix D6 or EV RE20

Well...pass on the secret, because I don't understand the

---------- Update ----------

Sorry, couldn't resist...

And just to add to the...

:D

but as a side note, as you're placing the mic, the closer you get to the beater (inside the drum) the more "click" you'll get.
Pull it back and ya get more "oomph".

I use a homemade 8" sub for a subkick with a beta 52 a couple of inches back from, and pointed at... the beater.
blend to taste and voila!
mediocre kick sound.
:)

just kidding.
it sounds pretty damned good.

If you have a 57 inside the drum and a speaker outside the drum, you can actually get a great kick sound. Putting a beta 52 right inside the hole is a much easier way of getting approximately the same sound, though.

My old drum teacher just loaned me a Shure Beta91. I'm thinking this will probably be my solution, though I haven't used it yet.

Back