Mic identification from a video

MidoBan

Hi, in most James Taylor older videos you can see him using this mic (in the video), it sound very good IMO, even when he talks a bit far from the mic, it sounds good (so maybe its a condenser?).

Can anyone identify the mic? also, any modern equivalents? (if i won't be able to find it or it will be too expensive).

Thanks!

Last edited:
The only references I could find were for the C535, the Earthworks, and the Shure KSM9.

The references for the C535 go back to at least the 1990's.

Good luck trying to pin down an unmarked mic from 40 years ago.

For my 2-cents you are putting way too much emphasis on JT's mic/signal chain preferences from 40 years ago. He is gonna sound like JT if you put him in front of tin cans connected by string and recorded him on wax cylinders, or through modern gear in the 21st century.

AKG C28 with W28 windshield for voc. and AKG C29 or C30 for guitar ( the same mic but with the extension tube attached and without the WS. )

Matti

lol, not so much, thanks anyway :)
In fact i looked into these EV's, you think they'll have a similar tone?

similar to what we hear in the video?

I honestly couldn't answer that, but i'd say they're mics that are worth having, similar or not.

the smaller RE mics are soooo useful on a huge range of sources..snares,toms, bass instruments, voices, etc etc

For my 2-cents you are putting way too much emphasis on JT's mic/signal chain preferences from 40 years ago. He is gonna sound like JT if you put him in front of tin cans connected by string and recorded him on wax cylinders, or through modern gear in the 21st century.

This is what I was going to suggest! It's the voice. Tons of verb too!

The microphone does a great job of capturing the source as could a large handful of others.

It's a BBC recording and the BBC were using loads of AKG at that time.

It would either be a C451 with CK 1 and the metal windshield or whatever preceded it.

Back