Votes: 12 20.0%
  • MXL V77

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Blue Baby Bottle (around $370)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
Hey guys, just to be sincere... I´m narrowing my choices to a V77 or a 4033/4040...
I´ll see if I can put the cash together... If I can´t, I´ll probably go for the 3035 or V67...
And by the way... I don´t understand why the TB-1 has 6 votes... if only one person have really listened to it :)

That's funny because from reading this thread it doesn't seem like anyone who has responded has any experience with the V77.That didn't stop anyone from voting for that mic.

As to the TB-1 having 6 votes: the question was- which one would you choose... So does that inherently mean i can only vote for a mic I own? For my own use, I'd choose a TB-1 or a V77, because I have a 4033 already and I'd like to have a tube mic.

Speaking about the main vocal mics I have: The AT 4033 rocks. Not the flavor of the day, but it's a great vocal mic with many uses beyond that. Studio Projects C1- another fine vocal mic and sweet acoustic guitar mic. at $229.00 it's cheap too. Much prettier sounding than the 4033. However, I used it ( C1 ) on a female vocal for the first time last week, and it was ugly. (Maybe just that day, or that singer...)

Jeronimo, you may not want a tube mic ( TB-1, V77) as your primary vocal mic, due to the unique tube sound- which some seem to love and others not.

Randy Yell said:
That's funny because from reading this thread it doesn't seem like anyone who has responded has any experience with the V77.That didn't stop anyone from voting for that mic.

Yea, but at least the v77 has been out for more than a month, and there's only 3 votes. So there's at least a somewhat-realistic chance that at least 3 people who voted got a chance to hear it on something, I imagine. :) :) I hope.

Randy, your vote is a very strong and convincing one. Some of us are merely concerned about the other 5. But what does it matter anyway? Like Dan says, the question was: "Which one would you choose?" Not "Which one have you used?" In that context I admit it was my mistake, and I apologize for criticizing the other 5 voters.

Maybe the mistake wouldn't have occured if you hadn't been so anxious to jump all over virtually any mention of SP mics.

Chess, if you have a gripe with Alan or his mics, for Christ's sake keep out of here............it doesn't do your credibilty (which I used to respect) any good and it certainly soils these forums.

:rolleyes:

Ain't no thang Chessrock,Actually I think he should try as many as possible and buy the one he likes best.I think the TB-1 should be looked at by anyone shopping for a mic in it's price range but what mic they decide to go with is a matter of personal preference.I really like the sound of the TB-1 alot and if I had the money I would buy another one but there is a wide variety of mics out there and a large variety of ears to match.

I myself considered the V77 but as someone who spent $200 on a MXL 2001p a few years back I will not give marshall any more of my money.I know I bought the dog of Mxl mics and that they make a number of very well recieved mics and my aversion to Marshall is probably my loss but I will not give them anymore financial support.To each his own.

ausrock said:
Maybe the mistake wouldn't have occured if you hadn't been so anxious to jump all over virtually any mention of SP mics.

Chess, if you have a gripe with Alan or his mics, for Christ's sake keep out of here............it doesn't do your credibilty (which I used to respect) any good and it certainly soils these forums.

:rolleyes:

I would have had the same problem if it would have been by any other manufacturer. And I already mentioned that I appreciated Randy's comments - they were very helpful, knowlegeable (based on actual experience) and worth considering. I was merely amused at the fact that the mic with the most amount of votes has probably the least amount of usage. And I apparently wasn't the only one who noticed. :) You might want to look at yourself before you accuse someone else of holding gripes. You're only risking your own credibility if you ask me (which was already on pretty shaky ground).

QUOTE:.........."I would have had the same problem if it would have been by any other manufacturer. "

But it wasn't, was it? I understand your reasoning, BUT neither of us can prove the validity of those votes, so why bother to comment.

As far as my credibility goes............I'm not one of the few who have continually waged this vendetta against "you know who". If people were prepared to have their say, just once and leave it at that, then fine, but some seem to have made a virtual sport of "dogging" one particular person and almost anyone who mentions SP mics..........ultimately, in one way or the other, to the detriment of these forums. Obviously, you don't agree, so we better leave it at that.

:cool:

I recently bought an ADK a-51 s. $199.00 It is a really good sounding mic..... especially for the dollars.

ausrock said:
As far as my credibility goes............I'm not one of the few who have continually waged this vendetta against "you know who".

No, you're just waging your own little witchhunt against Chessrock, instead. But that's okay. I find it rather amusing. Kind of like that Tyler-rec-pro fellow. :) What other great words of wisdom have you to contribute to this subject, oh mighty Aus? Oh, I forgot :

:) :) "More to the point........if it is for your voice, which one would you choose? Only you can make the decision." :) :)

Ouch. Don't tell me it was really you who posted that. Next time try putting the YOURs and YOUs in bold. It looks more preachy that way.

For those of you that know me, you know that I have stayed out of the discussions about the new Studio Projects microphone line. I haven't even commented about the older line in much detail, since I sent mine back to California for Stephen Paul to look at. I haven't commented, because I haven't had the original products long enough to really test them thoroughly, and I haven't heard any of the new units yet.

I just received this email from Alan Hyatt a few minutes ago, and maybe we can settle these questions in a more amicable manner than the debate currently in progress:

Hi Harvey,

Sorry for the delay, but today we shipped you one of every mic we make. So you should have them all in a few days.

Kind regards,

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

I hope no one will regard me as a "shill" for Studio Projects microphones, anymore than I would be considered a "shill" for originally recommending some microphones that I found to be good values that were made by MXL, Oktava, Audio Technica, Behringer, and even Radio Shack.

Harvey Gerst said:
I hope no one will regard me as a "shill" for Studio Projects microphones, anymore than I would be considered a "shill" for originally recommending some microphones that I found to be good values that were made by MXL, Oktava, Audio Technica, Behringer, and even Radio Shack.
Harvey,

I would hope everyone here realizes you are above board. I for one, sure appreciate the effort you go to in helping us evaluate some of these bottom-feeder mics. Especially since an M-149 doesn't seem to be in the foreseeable future for me.

Taylor

I didn't realize the Baby Bottle was so inexpensive. I wonder if the two people who voted for it could give some input on it?

Harvey, have you given the Blue mics a listen?

Taylor

Harvey--I certainly won't regard you as a shill for SP. If anything, this is welcome news to me. Your mic reviews have been a light in the darkness for me. Everything you've said about the particular mics I am familiar with has been spot on. This is what we need--a respected pro who will call 'em as he sees (or hears) 'em. I've bought eight mics since I started frequenting this forum and have been happy with all of them:

1 MXL V67
1 MXL V93
1 Octava 012
2 Behringer ECM 8000
3 Radio Shack tom mics

I suppose you can guess where I got the idea to buy these particular mics! I can say that I was not steered wrong in any case.

Theres no way I'll ever have all the SP line in a good studio to test, so I can't wait to read the results of your hands on testing. If anybody has a problem with you doing this test, which I know will be truthful and fair, then it will simply prove that they have a vindetta or an agenda against SP. Somehow, I don't think thats gonna happen.

By the way, that was a total expenditure of $560 for all those mics. Thats a pretty cheap price for all those problem solving sonic tools!

Thanks Chess,

Interesting reading. I wish I had a resource where I could rent some of the mics I read about and give them a thorough listen. This mic sounds like it might suit my voice, but I'm not willing to gamble 400 bucks on it.

Taylor

Back