i decided to do my own mic comparision with the following mics:

• SM57 {Shure Dynamic Cardioid}
  • N/D757 {Electro-Voice Dynamic SuperCardioid}
  • AT-4033 {Audio Technica}
  • AT-4050 {Audio Technica}
  • C1 {Studio Projects}
  • NTK {RÓDE}
  • 460B {Small Diaphragm Condenser with a CK-61ULS Cardioid Capsule}

i recorded a small section of a familiar Pink Floyd song with all mics recording at the same time. i recorded my Takamine with the sound hole about 12 inches directly in front of the mic array. i did this intentionally so i could compare proximity effects, boomyness, and brightness (articulation) with all seven mics in virtually the same sonic environment. i realize this is not perfect, but i feel it does give a good sonic picture of each mic...on this guitar...on this day.

here's the Signal Chain:

mic
=> Mackie 1604VLZ Preamp (out the Insert)
=> Tango 20bit converter with Lucid Genx6 Word clock
=> RME 9652
=> Samplitude

if you want to play, here's what to do. download all seven mp3's (all are at 192bps), listen to each and then match the MP3 Mic number with the mic's listed above. i'll give it a week or so or when 30 listeners have posted, i'll post the real mics and numbers.

thanks...

here's a picture of the Mic setup:

mic_shootout.jpg

here are the seven mic MP3 files:

mic 1
mic 2
mic 3
mic 4
mic 5
mic 6
mic 7

Last edited:
do you mean using other DAW SW? if so, Samplitude is the only DAW SW i have. so probably not. i would hope the Application should have little affect on the this test.

i did not filter the signals in any way, no EQ, compression and so on. i did have a limiter on the output because i did adjust the volumes and i didn't want any Digital Clipping.

for what's worth...that's a damn fine picture of those mics:) Probably one of the best I have seen on the net...

Ah...another good old mic shootout. Let's hope people don't rip it to pieces like what usually happpens!:) I've downloaded about half, and will post my thoughs later today.

Alan,

I'm not saying a word.............lmao. Although the attached pic may tell you something. BTW, it was taken before final positioning of the mics.

Another BTW, how do you insert pics on the page rather than having them as an attachment?

:cool:

Attachments

• mics.jpg
    mics.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 412
Sonixx said:
do you mean using other DAW SW? if so, Samplitude is the only DAW SW i have. so probably not. i would hope the Application should have little affect on the this test.

No, I meant applications as in vocal, amp miking, etc.

thanks Blue Bear...

to all...
i really don't want this to be a This Mic is better than That Mic. i was hoping for a little fun in just guessing by hearing the differences. i'm not trying to prove anything this way or that.

how about waiting until i post the results and then blast me. for now, come on guess and have some fun....:D that's it...

Last edited:
Griffinator said:

No, I meant applications as in vocal, amp miking, etc.
Oh...yea...Duh...

no plans now to do other micing applications...give me some ideas and i'll consider it. if there's interest in a vocal comparison with this setup, i can call on a friend with a great voice.

i chose the guitar because i could show proximity and transient issues at the same time and i wanted the results to be of the same sonic event, as much as possible. normally i wouldn't place the mic at the position i did, but after trying several positions, this seemed to show the differences the best.

pass or fail 1st test?

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this shootout Sonixx. I have very little experience at recording and am trying to develop my ears. (I'm a drummer of many years). From my notes I preferred mic #5, it seemed clearest, I don't know if that's because it is louder, anyway it sounded highest quality to me. I did not like #1 or #7 much. 2 sounded better than 1; #3 sounded country&western) but nicer than2. This is like getting free lessons. PLEASE let me know if I pass or fail my first test? Thanks again,Sincerely, Don

Last edited:
Re: pass or fail 1st test?

alba359 said:
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this shootout Sonixx. I have very little experience at recording and am trying to develop my ears. (I'm a drummer of many years). From my notes I preferred mic #5, it seemed clearest, I don't know if that's because it is louder, anyway it sounded highest quality to me. I did not like #1 or #7 much. 2 sounded better than 1; #3 sounded country&western) but nicer than2. This is like getting free lessons. PLEASE let me know if I pass or fail my first test? Thanks again,Sincerely, Don
thanks for the post... :)

i don't think there's a right or wrong, better or worse. if you like one as opposed to another then that's what works for you.

how about playing along and match the MP3 number and Mic for all seven. that's all this is about. lets have some fun...nothing's on the line here...thanks...

Last edited:
From a newbie point of view, Number 5. It was louder and clearer. I'm axious to know which is which, hell I want to buy Mike #5!

Frank

Slow down guys. Remember the variables. This is his room, his guitar, his style of playing. The humidity and temperature will be a factor on all the mics. The actual placement will affect all the mics. Remember, he said he placed the soundhole 12 inches directly in front of the mic array. Some of those mics are not centered with exception of the Shure and AKG. So the results are all going to be varied.

Before you go buying microphones, just remember this test is nothing more than a fun thing to mess around with. This will give absolutly no indication of how any of these mics, including mine will perform for you in your situation.

Sonixx did a good job as did Bruce on his test, but this is all for fun...it does not mean you will get a sound just like the one you heard buy buying the mic you choose. So just keep that all in mind...:D

Alan Hyatt

alanhyatt said:
Slow down guys. ......

well damn...I was "rushing off" to buy a C1...but I guess I'll slow down a bit....maybe get some ECM8000s then....they're cheaper anywayyyy:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D and;)

#5 is C1, or I've learned a big expensive lesson

I hope #5 is a STUDIO PROJECTS C1, after all that hype about being the best inexpensive mike around and close to Neuman in performance (according to forums and sales pitches) I bought two. If #5 is not a C1, at least I'll know my preference in microphones. I'll also know how gulliable I am. This is the best learning experience I've had so far. I'll not only decide my taste and what kind of mike to get, I'll also learn if I should believe advertising hype and whether to rely on other people's taste who I consider to be more experienced than me.......Or mabe my ear needs to improve. Thanks, Don (couldn't guess other mike brands, not familar enough)

I dont know that id reach for ANY of those mics for acoustic or put them 12 inches out in front of the sound hole so i am not gonna listen to the clips.....

I dont know what to look for when evaluating how good a mic captured an acoustic, so I am just going to rate them by preference if you dont mind. by the way, thumbs up for going through the trouble of doing this test. It gives an idea of how certain mics react to this type of sound.

I could not hear too much difference BTW and I listened to about the first 30 seconds of each

but, order of preference from most liked to least liked

3 I liked it alot.
7 I also liked this one alot,quite similar to 3 but brighter
6 sounded nice, was this a dynamic?
------
2 nice sound on the chords, but too bright on the single strings
1 same as 2
---------------
5 sounded too hard. It sounded louder than the rest though.
4 sounded really wack

please email me with the results. I wont share with anybody. It might take some time to get 30 answers.

Back