MIc choice

In that price range, go for the RTT VM100 Cardioid Tube for $850US from The Sound Room (smokes the Solidtube or 4060; I did plenty of comparisions with mine)if you want a tube mic with the most balls in price range (multipattern or not).

If looking for solid-state with the most balls, go for Neumann TLM 103 Cardioid for around $800US or an AT 4047 Cardioid for around $750US. If you need a multipattern solid-state, get the Elation KM 901 from The Sound Room for $750US. It has more balls than any solid-state multipattern mic from the low area (say a AT 4050) of it's price range and up to doubled it's price (say a C414 B/LUS or TLII). Check-out The Sound Room at www.oktava.com

mahalo for the advice. will definately check out the sound room. here in hawaii not much advice or people to talk too. thanks

Yeah. Call The Sound Room and talk to Taylor Johnson (owner). You can call toll-free I think. If not, just e-mail him and he'll personaly call you back all the way from Connecticut, USA. He's such a great guy; no sleezy salesmen crap either. He personaly called me here in California, USA just to chat with me for 30 mintues on some questions I had about Oktava's history. I bought an RTT VM100 from him (I'd never even heard it before). His return policy is to just not return it BEFORE 20 days after the sale. The reasoning behind this is you need to experience its full potential. He says compare it to other mics. So I did. The only mic which topped it is more than double its price; the Neumann M147 for $2000US. Yeah the Neumann sounded a little better, but not nearly over $1000US better; more like $100-200US. Not worth it to me. The VM100 topped anything tube mic below the price of the Neumann. I didn't compare it to any other mic other than tubes, because tubes, solid-states, and ribbons are completely different monsters.

Back