which mic is better, at2020 plus or blue yeti

Both are good, low-end USB microphones. The Yeti probably picks up a bit more background noise (refrigerator in the next room), and the Yeti has multiple pattern choices. If the use will be voice-overs or spoken word, I would go with the Yeti. Be advised that the Yeti is very big and heavy, and its size limits the range of accessories. I think there are only two shock mounts that will work with the Yeti. The AT2020 looks like a conventional large diaphragm condenser mic (a bit shorter than most), and it works with inexpensive shock mounts such as the Samson shock mount.

The AT2020 plus I believe has a headphone jack and a 'mix' control so what is being played back in a DAW can be heard through the headphone. I think the next level up in the Yeti offers this, but not the basic one.

I've never been a big fan of Blue mics...they seem noisy to me. I have had good results with the AT2020. I usually use more "upscale" mics for vocals, but I've found that the 2020 works well for podcast and voice over applications. Also, I often use it when recording thin-ish sounding vocalists, especially children. It adds a bit of body and warmth to the performance but isn't as fussy as a tube mic usually is.

Back