MIC Advice!! Neumann TLM 102 or 103 vs MXL 2003

JonPaulP

I'm currently using an MXL 2003 Condenser Mic for the vocals in this clip: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_9231408

I'm thinking of getting an Neumann TLM 102 or 103 or something along that price range.

I was wondering...would the sound quality sound much better on a Neumann or does the MXL 2003 sound comparable, judging from the clip?

I might be willing to get a new mic if it will make a major difference, but wanted to see if what I currently have is alright.

Thanks a lot!

I think that you would benefit more with a MindPrint EN-VOICE MK II mic pre at around $670 and a Marshall V69 Tube mic at $300. The mic pre will make all of your mics sound a lot better. I would get the mic pre before getting another mic.

I got a 102 and a 103 for a try out and ended up returning the 103 because I just preferred the 102 on my voice. They're both great mics though in the end it will just come down to personal preference

My 2003 is the old one I guess, got it maybe 4 years ago.

Just got the TLM 103...has a more full, bassy sound compared to the MXL's sort of thin, hi-sound.

Going to get a pre-amp tomorrow! Any suggestions?

My 2003 is the old one I guess, got it maybe 4 years ago.

Just got the TLM 103...has a more full, bassy sound compared to the MXL's sort of thin, hi-sound.

Going to get a pre-amp tomorrow! Any suggestions?

Ow... :eek:

I had to get rid of my 103.

The general opinion, which I tried and tested, is that it's a good mic... but... you can get a simular mic much cheaper. I used to prefer a Rode NT2 to my TLM 103.

The TLM 102 is considered a more high end mic, though I haven't tried it.

I don't know if you can return the 103, if you can, I'd recommend comparing it to some cheaper LDC's in the store. I hate to be a hard on about this, but the mic cost me a lot of money & frustration. Save yourself the trouble.

Back