Mf sdotd 4-19: Cad tsm411 $30

Paj

Today's Stupid Deal at MusiciansFriend: CAD TSM411 drum mic at about as low a price as you see. This mic goes on sale for this price every now and then but not all that often (more often at $50). A good, inexpensive, compact alternative for the SM57 with a lot of good reviews. I use one as an alternate stage vocal mic with a VoiceLive and it works very well. With the exception of its footprint, I treat it like and use it like an SM57. I just bought a few more for Christmas gifts for percussionist friends.

Paj
8^)

Got one on order this morning (my time), I was just recording drums last week and thinking I would like to try something other then my trusty old SM57. If I don't like it I could try it as a snare bottom mic? Or a guitar cab mic, or anything really at that price.

Alan.

I've got a pair of TSM411 mikes. They are good on snare or toms. Strangely, I don't own a single 57, so I either use a KSM411 if I want dynamic, or the lowly, but surprisingly versatile, Behringer C2 if I want a condenser.

I've got a pair of TSM411 mikes. They are good on snare or toms. Strangely, I don't own a single 57, so I either use a KSM411 if I want dynamic, or the lowly, but surprisingly versatile, Behringer C2 if I want a condenser.

I nearly bought 2 as a pair, but I really need to cut back on buying LOL.

I change my drum micing setup around a bit but nearly always end up with a SM57 on snare, thats why I was interested in the 411. My standard goto setup at the moment is to use:

Kick, AKG D112 or D12
Kick, 10" speaker
Snare SM57 Top, Old toshiba condenser bottom (model number unreadable but was a pro mic)
Hats: Senheisser ME40
Toms: Audio Technica 3525 condensers (I have 3) sometimes MD421's
Overhead(s) MXL V67Q (stereo) still getting to grips with it but very interesting.

Alan.

I typically am very austere in miking drums:

Kick: CADS KBM412
Snare: TSM411
Overheads: Rode NT5 x 2

And that's it.

I don't own any C2 mics but I do recall some outstanding samples that you previously posted of recorded sax using the C2.

Paj
8^)

At around $Aus100 a pair, the C2 is a surprsiingly versatile mike and extraordinary value for money. As you note, I've got great sounds from sax, and also from upright bass. In live mixing I often use it as an instrument mike, and it behaves very much like a dynamic mike.

The TSM411 is again on sale today (4-27) for $30 at GuitarCenter as the Daily Pick. One of my percussionist friends told me that I should mention its small size.

Paj
8^)

Small size is not a problem. If, for example, you are clipping them onto toms, it stops them from getting in the way of cymbals.

Back