Metal-Vocals/Guitar Recording

Wintermoon

Hello,
I want to record a good demo CD with my Metal band via home-recording.
Since we've got only dynamic microphones like the Shure-57/58 Beta till now, we consider buying a studio mic.
Primarily we want to record vocals (male vocals) and the guitar amp.
Our mixer ( Yamaha MX-12/4 ) supports Phantom-Power.
Unfortunately we don't have the possibility to test microphones by ourselves, so it would be nice, if you could help me :
Which of the following mics are best used to record Melodic-Metal vocals and Metal guitars ?

- AKG c3000b/4000b

- Audio Technica at-4035/at-3035

- Rode NT1000

P.S: Our Guitarequipment: Ibanez JPM 100B, Marshall JMP-1, Marshall 2x20W
Tube Poweramp, Rocktron Intellifex, H&K 4x12" Box, Dunlop Crybaby; Recordingcard: Siena

Thx, Wintermoon

Harvey Gerst said:
Two of the best mics I've found for metal guitars and vocals are the Shure SM-7 for vocals, and the Shure SM-57 for guitars.

I'm not sure if that was just a play on words........ but I could be a mistype at the same time....

U like sm57 for both Harvey?????

Sabith

Hi,
first of all thanx for your answers so far. If I understood you correctly, its better to record metal-vocals and guitars by dynamic mics than by condenser mics.
@Harvey Gerst: Someone recommended the Sennheiser MD-421 II for metal records - and this mic is a little bit cheaper than the SM-7. Do you have any experiences therewith?

(My english isnt the best, so sorry for any grammatical mistakes ;) )
Greets, Wintermoon

I haven't heard the 421-II (I do have a number of 421s - the older units), so I can't really comment about the sound. My 421s are pretty good mics, but there is something special about the Shure SM-7 that just seems to work great for metal vocals, IMO anyway.

The sm 7 is like a 57 on steroids, I Have found them good for screaming and such as well as male spoken word. It has a smooth bass to me. Not to boomy but it's there!

Therefore...

So I am VERY interested in what everyone thinks about dynamics on voices/songs in metal (NOT 80's metal) that contain screaming AND melodic passages. I sing in the bass range, I feel I have a pretty good range, so It's kind of like if the guy from Obituary had a little lower voice AND sang well melodically. Should I use a dynamic mic? I have access to a: Shure beta 58a, A-T 4041, and a peavey pvm 520i (large diaphragm dynamic).

Ooooops............ sorry

I thought U said SM57 for both........ just read to quickly I guess =)

Sabith

Re: Sennheiser 421 (current model) & Peavey pvm 520i

I was looking for posts on Shure Beta microphones (I'm getting a new Shure Beta 87a), & noticed this thread.
I've found that the Sennheiser 421 is very good for my baritone voice on pop/rock ballads as it is very
smooth sounding. The Shure Beta 87 is for uptempo/rock style vocals as it cuts well through a mix & can be used live.
At prorec.com there is a write up on the Peavey pvm 520i & Sennheiser under the article "True Love".
Harvey-if you see this post thanks for your response to me in your "Microphones application" thread,
I should have said Electro-Voice re20 instead of re520!

Back