mca sp1

They're the same thing as the Marshall MXL-990. Which is basically an mxl-603 (small diaphragm) in a large body.

Good for some things; not so good for others. They definitely have nice high end clarity, and quite detailed. Not very full-bodied, unfortunately, but Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades can fix that for a hundred bucks or so if you ever feel like sending it off for modification.

It has the potential to be a really excellent mic.

Most people consider 20mm to be small diaphram, although it is in the large range of small diaphram. Most Large Diaphram condersers are 25mm.

Just because a microphone is side-address does not make it large diameter.

StudioMxpx said:
yeah im going to use it for overheads and vocals. can i get more info about the modifcations?

Yea, Jim Williams is kind of an interesting guy. He's a technical whiz who spends most of his time tweaking stuff to make it sound better. I suppose that sort of thing has always been common / popular with guitar amps, for instance.

But basically, Jim has sort of a list of cheap gear that he's figured out how to swap a few things out -- a cap here, a chip there, maybe a few other things, and suddenly you've got a noticeably better-sounding piece of gear.

I think it's a great service, so I try and support the guy whenever I can by way of word of mouth on these boards. Jim is good for the audio community, in my humblest of opinions. I really respect the guy and his work.

www.audioupgrades.com

As for these mics, I really think they have a lot of potential. It seems as though it's got a great capsule (same as the mxl 603 which happens to be a pretty nice and detailed mic), but that it suffers a bit in that some of the electronics leave something to be desired, which is where Jim comes in to work his magic.

As for the capsule size, I wouldn't let that effect anything. Medium diaphragm condensers tend to work just fine for vocals . . . and they're extremely versatile.

Back