Mc012's Pad? Omni or Card? for drums ac guitar

Jason James

Hey there, really wanting to go pick up a pair of Oktava Mc012's for drum overheads and acoustic gtr/mandolin ect. Any one know if I must get the Pads? How much, where etc? Also, what should I get, Omni, Cardioid etc?

I was needing to get them at Guitar Center because I need them so soon and wanted to get other stuff and put it on no payment no interest card. Is it really worth getting the mics from soundroom.com? Thanks for the help.

Jason

If you are recording in a decent sounding room I'd recommend getting the omni caps. If you're in your bedroom, living room, whatever I'd recommend the cardiod caps. Or you could get the best of both worlds and get both so when you move into a place with a good sounding room you could use the omni's.

Or if you're not dead set on the Oktava's, you might look into the Behringer omni's just because Harvey recommends them and they are cheap as hell. I bought some 603's on nothing more than Harvey's recommendation and I haven't been dissapointed yet.

As far as the soundroom goes, I've never dealt with them personally but I've never heard anything but positive comments about them. The quality control on the Russian mics is rumored to be less than stellar and the soundroom tests the mics to make sure you don't get a dud.

Hey James,
I thinks Bald Guy is speaking of the Marshall 603's, Not Behringer small diafram mikes.

Bald Guy,
Please correct me if i'm wrong here.

I got my pair of 012's and a 319 from Taylor at The Sound Room and that's where I'll make any future Octava purchases.
That being said, there is less of a quality controll problem reported on the 012's as their other models. You'd probably be able to find a decent one off the shelf at Guitar Satin (I'd demo everyone they had in the store though).

I have never found any use for the pad so far, recording loud things like drums, trumpet, trombone with the mc012. And if your room isn't stellar and very well soundproofed you won't use the omnis much on quiet sources, because they pick up anything (ever had a bird outside the studio tweeting into an classical guitar track?)

Back