Matching condensers vs. Non matching

SpotlightKid83

What would be the difference between a matching pair of condenser mics and a non matching pair? why can't I use a non matching pair to record OH drums in stereo? (just any two of the same model)

If you really want to get crazy do some stereo miking with totally different mics. I have gotten some really happy results on acoustic guitars with an AT813 and a Shure Beta 87. Using different mics helps alot with stereo spread.

SpotlightKid83 said:
What would be the difference between a matching pair of condenser mics and a non matching pair? why can't I use a non matching pair to record OH drums in stereo? (just any two of the same model)
The theory behind matched pairs is that if one of the pair has higher response to a particular frequency then when that note is played the instrument will seem to jump toward that mic. So you can see why it is less important for overheads. A drum, cymball, etc. is mostly going to play the same note unless you hit it very differently. So your drums are not going to be jumping all around.

Thanx for the replies. I also thought that it would help the stereo image, something like doubling guitar with different sounds each time.

I also wanted to thank Harvey for all the knowledge he shares, I spent 6 hours reading your post about mics the other day and I learned a lot more than I could imagine. It's just like you said, it's like a magic trick, once you know how and why it all becomes easier.

Thank you!

hey harvey how important do you think it is to have matching mics for acoustic guitar? (Would it be all right if I have two of the same model, but not matched?)

patlang12 said:
hey harvey how important do you think it is to have matching mics for acoustic guitar? (Would it be all right if I have two of the same model, but not matched?)
That's a whole lot stickier question. It depends on the Quality Control of the manufacturer and distributor. With companies like Schoeps and DPA and even Shure, I wouldn't be too concerned in using two of the same model. But, for solo acoustic guitar (or piano recordings), I would prefer a matched pair of microphones - usually. Out of 7 MXL603's I own, 6 are close enough for matched pair work - one isn't.

Ok thanks Harvey. I sometimes wonder if people make to big of a deal over having factory matched pairs.

I think that i general people do make too big a deal out of matched pairs. In most situations I actually like having slightly different ones. There are however plenty of occasions where a well matched can yield a much better result:)

Sound on Sound did a hands-on session in a reader's studio the other month where they didn't have two of the same mic, so they used an AT4033 and (I think) and AKG C451 as overheads, and reckoned it actually made a decent sound once they'd matched the levels. If you were recording a big choir or orchestra, though, you'd need to be able to rely on getting a consistent image all the way across.

True stereo image.

It depends on how picky you are... if you want perfection, use a matched pair. ;)

I have two Shure SM81s that I was able to get for a ridiculous price, which is why I bought them even though they weren't matched.

The difference in output in the two mics is huge. It's close to 6db, maybe a little more. This is a really annoying thing to deal with. If you can get a matched pair, I'd say go for it.

While I'm here...if anyone knows of a place that could match two SM81s for a decent price, please let me know.

If only the output is different couldn't you just adjust the volume on the individual tracks to even them out?

patlang12 said:
If only the output is different couldn't you just adjust the volume on the individual tracks to even them out?
Yes... just adjust the trim/gain knob.

Have you checked the pad ring on them? That is one thing I do not like about sm81's. They have that pad that is on a rotating ring. It is really easy to accidentally shift it during handling (i.e. set-up and teardown). If they are set the same and one mic is still hotter, you could actually adjust the pad on the hotter of the two mics and then mark your new setting once they are more closely matched. Also, have you tried different preamps? And how did you test them to see which is hotter?

I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried both mics on different premaps, it's always the same one that is louder and the same one that is quieter. I've made sure that the pad rotator things are set to Odb. I do adjust the gain on one to compensate, but it's a pain getting them exact. Also, as darrin pointed out one channel is being pushed harder, which adds a bit of noise.

It sounds like maybe you just have one mic that is in need of repairs then. Have you contacted Shure to see what they say and how much they would charge for repairs? I would imagine that even though they are not a "matched pair" that they are still well outside what Shure would consider to be a normal mismatch.

Back