Marshall MXL V67 vs. Rode NT1

ihs

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for my first quality mic, and it seems to be coming down to the V67 and NT1. The rest of my chain is pretty well set; but all the software/hardware/preamp/mixer's in the world won't do me much good without a mic of course, so I need a little help. Does anyone have experience with these mics? Likes, dislikes?

I'll be recording 70-80% acoustic guitar, with vocals & electric guitar comprising the rest. I've been going straight into my soundcard with my acoustics, but I would really like the flexibility of a good mic for other instruments/vocals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't get the NT1... I think most people would agree that the V67 is a better mic.

Isaiah

2 years ago i would have said the NT1...when i heard the v67 it was a substantial difference.....not saying the NT1 is a bad mic...the v67 is smoother and more versatile....it will work better in more situations......

Let's not forget the $80 MXL 603s for acoustic guitar. I don't see why you can't get both (67 + 603) for total of $230.

FWIW, both on a prior post, from Alan Hyatt the owner of Studio Projects,
and in a phone conversation recently, he described the B1 as being a bit
less emphasis on high end frequencies than the C1-although the response
still goes up to 20KHZ. I predict it will cut into a lot of Marshall sales!

FWIW?...not much.....

when I or someone WITHOUT a vested interest in the company hears it, ill believe it...from what I know and have heard about SP mics, im sure it will be a fine mic for the money, but Id still rather a v67 or C1.....

Let's try not to recommend products that don't exist, especially in the tricky realm of low budget stuff. It might also be useful to not ask Alan Hyatt his *opinion* on which cheap microphone to purchase.

Slackmaster 2000

Gidge and Slackmaster, want to put any money on those
comments! (just kidding)

I respect what you guys are saying, maybe if I said my usual
"you may want to check out the (insert product name)",
and left it at that it would have been more appropriate.

Let's try not to recommend products that don't exist, especially in the tricky realm of low budget stuff. It might also be useful to not ask Alan Hyatt his *opinion* on which cheap microphone to purchase.
Absolutly. And let's take this one step further. Let's limit recommendations on gear to stuff we've actually used and have hands on experience with or at least been in the same room with at least once and NOT something you read once or heard someone else say, etc.
:rolleyes:

Sorry folks, but I did see, touch and listen to a B1 at AES.

And if they all sound like that one, then I recommend having $80 ready to go when they are available.

I was also impressed by the MXL 603 when compared side to side with the whole Marshall line, and moments after listening to Studio Projects.

It wasn't the best environment for listening at the convention center, but all of the mics I tested were subject to the same disadvantages.

it may be an awesome mic, but I wanna hear it first before i praise it.....

wanna go double or nothing?....
I bet the GidgeMaster-beta Tube Mic Stand is gonna rock!!!!!

O.K. Gidge we're on for "double nothing"!
When (not if) I win, all proceeds go towards your mic stand.
I'm going out now to get a lottery ticket!

For those of you that don't recognize his name, Ty Ford is a noted and well respected reviewer and an authority on a lot of microphones. He's a friend and I trust you'll treat his comments with the respect he deserves.

While we disagree from time to time on some mics, I have always respected his opinion and the thoroughness of his testing.

Back