Marantz PMD661 Professional Portable Flash Field Recorder

davidvypark

I don't think this qualifies as a microphone but has anyone had any experience using this or something like this? What are the pros and cons. I feel like it should be amazing because it is a handheld device but a friend said that he had good results using this to replay and listen to himself play the trumpet. He suggested that I try it and is sending it over in a few days. Any thoughts? I will post my findings and opinions after I try it.

It is generally thought to be a quality device. Try taperssection.com, they are much more into portable recorders than people here.

I looked at it before I popped for the USBPre 2 (which I use as a field mixer occasionally) and a review on bhphotovideo said the pres were a little sucky. Personally I've never used it.

I do a fair business in preamps as a front end to portable recorders with phantom-powered inputs, but I've had a hard time figuring out why. I need to eat, so I don't ask too many questions.

I've been wating one of these guys for a while now... there are mods available online for the pre and mics as well. Overall, it seems to me to be one of the best field recorders available atm.

Back