Male Vocals Which Studio Mic?

2000Z28M6

Hello Everyone,
My first post here.....

I've been reading and searching the threads today. Now I know it's been asked more than once, but it's hard to make a decision with so many choices on mics.

I'm in the market for a home studio mic mainly for male vocals, genres mostly pop and reggae stuff.

I'm trying to stay within a budget of less than $500. I'm currently using a Audio Technica ATM33a, which is not really a vocal mic.

So I'm looking for a large diaphragm condenser or similar mic that will give me good results.

From reading around here I see the Studio Projects T3, Rode NTK make good candidates.

Now I completely understand mics are like instruments and certain mics will sound better in different situations.

But I'd like to have a decent vocals home studio mic that will carry my projects for now.

If you have any advice please comment and reply!

THanks Guys!

Can you post any sound clips of you (or the person or people you're recording) singing? That always helps everyone come up with suggestions. I don't think you can post links until you have a few posts, but simple instructions on how to get there would work.

Oh and on a side note, my friend wants to use his M Audio Producer USB mic if we dont make a purchase soon.

I havent used it, but I have a feeling the ATM33a is probably better.

How do I post up clips?

Umm, there is a youtube upload we did last week to show a few friends.

You can goto youtube and look up "such a nice ride" by R & G Music.

Thats close to the style and singer I'm recording with right now.

Be an interesting quest. The voice in that clip is not particularly dark or bright, just in between. I would think you would want a neutral sounding mic for a voice like that.

"Neutral" pretty much rules out anything made in China......unless you get it modded.

The most neutral sounding mic I've ever used (not that I've used a great many) is the SM7, but you would want a preamp with a lot of clean gain. The preamp would (imo) be best if it were neutral also. But I'm one who doesn't appreciate "color" being added by the transduction signal path. I think it's better to color the sound later while mixing.

The voice in that clip is not particularly dark or bright, just in between. I would think you would want a neutral sounding mic for a voice like that.

So are you saying the ATM33a is cutting it for now?

And yea I listen to stuff with Jack Johnson and I want that nice natural sound.

ANy ideas how?

That's a cool song! I like that guy's voice, and I'm kind of at a loss -- of the mics I have that you can go out and buy, I'd probably reach for the Audio Technica AT4040 first if I were trying to record a voice like that. If that turns out to be a good idea, then other folks here would say to look at the AT4050 because it's more versatile and may be inside your budget. Another one that I think would work well is the Shure SM7b (definitely inside your budget) -- it may be better than the 4040, but will be more demanding on your preamp, because it's lower output. What are you using for a preamp? Another one I'm liking recently is the modified SM-57 with a Tab Funkenwerk T58 transformer -- you can get those from Mercenary audio well within budget -- again, need a good preamp.

Of the mics I have that you can't run out and buy, I'd go for a heavily modded tube mic that I have (my first choice on most vocals these days). I can provide more details if you want, but I think you're looking for a quick answer.

I'm sure other suggestions will follow, and you should probably weight them heavier than mine :D

So are you saying the ATM33a is cutting it for now?

edit: the first thing I should have said is that I have no familiarity with the ATM33a -- are you saying that that youtube video was produced using that mic for the vocal?

I had an opportunity to A/B the Studio Projects T3 (already love) and their CS5
(multi-pattern). Was surprised to find I actually prefer the CS series-which is relatively more neutral sounding than the T3 for vocals. Several pro AE's were listening at one point and they also agreed. FWIW was trying both my deep baritone or "tenorish" high baritone.

My impression is that the CS series would be excellent for BGV's also.

With any $$ left over, consider getting either an EV RE15 or RE16-they are very tolerant as to "which pre" you're using.

Chris

Yes this was recorded with the AT ATM33a, did it in my home studio with Sonar 6. In fact the guitars sound were all done with the same mic.

I'm using a Beringer powered mixer then to my m audio 4in 4 out card.

The youtube mix sounds muddy compared to my original master at full resolution.

I had thought an AT4033, or any higher number would work great, but the AT's I've tried tended to be a tadbit on the brighter side, still very good. Waaaaay better than any Chinese build mic.

The only other thing I could suggest - at that price range, used in good condition for about $400 maybe, new for $500-600 maybe - is a good ribbon. The base model in that range that comes to mind is the Beyer M130 or 160, I forget which. But I wouldn't buy a ribbon unless you plan to be comitted to recording for many years and you learn first how to care for the thing.

If I was looking for a good ribbon for vocals, I think I would look for a Beyer M500 rather than an M130 or M160. It was designed as a vocal mic. Cheaper too. Discontinued, but pretty common on e-bay. But as Soundchaser said, you'd need to be committed to do some recording. Probably not the first mic I'd buy. The AT4040 and 4050 are good relatively safe choices for swiss army knife LD type condensers. The Shure KSM32 is another good relatively safe choice. While I'd normally recommend a good dynamic like an SM7 for home recording vocals, I'm not sure about your mixer being able drive it adequately. The RE-16 is also a good and very cheap option. Back in the day, many of the vocals in Motown and Sun Studios were recorded with one. If you are willing to look for a used mic, you can do pretty well in your price range.

You might consider a Lundahl-upgraded ribbon mic. I'm also a fan of the CAD M9 on male vocals. You also probably can't go wrong with the AT4040 or 4050, though I've never used either personally.

BTW, update your profile to say where you are. If there are folks on the board close by, you might be able to get somebody to loan you a mic or two to try out.

BTW, update your profile to say where you are. If there are folks on the board close by, you might be able to get somebody to loan you a mic or two to try out.

Thanks I did.

I'm kinda really hoping the Studio Projects T3 has what I need.

Do I need an external preamp to get a good sound?

A Rode NT1 is a good all round vocal mic. You should be able to get a good sound of it easy enough.

And I would think any Rode would be far preferable to any SP mics (in the same price range)..... sorry, but I have really grown to advocate against dropping hard earned cash on chinese made condensors. If a guy is going to stick with it, then buy something better from the start.....and only pay money once to get there. A notable exception to my suggestion would be getting a modded ribbon, like a Cascade.... I'm not positive how or where all the budget ribbons are made, but I know a big, big portion of them are not occidental. The mods have a lot of positive reviews, though!

Be an interesting quest. The voice in that clip is not particularly dark or bright, just in between. I would think you would want a neutral sounding mic for a voice like that.

"Neutral" pretty much rules out anything made in China......unless you get it modded.

The most neutral sounding mic I've ever used (not that I've used a great many) is the SM7, but you would want a preamp with a lot of clean gain. The preamp would (imo) be best if it were neutral also. But I'm one who doesn't appreciate "color" being added by the transduction signal path. I think it's better to color the sound later while mixing.

I like the SM7 too. #1 mic for male vocals for me over my RE20, AKG414 and SP C3. But those other three are all great too.

I suggest the SM7 strongly because it will hold value and you will always find a use for it.

Jim

Rode NT1 before SP T3 huh?

And I would think any Rode would be far preferable to any SP mics (in the same price range).....

Even though the T3 is twice the price, I would still have to hear side by side identical recordings with both to ever be convinced that the T3 is a better deal than the Rode...... if I were going to spend $500 bucks on it, I'd get a better Rode before I'd get a better SP......but that's my own bias hard at work!

I would buy an SM7 before an other mic, that's me. I works for so many things and doesn't require very much treatment (comp or eq) it sits in the mix rather well.

Rode NT1 before SP T3 huh?

I've always heard the NT1 described as a very bright mic (even to the point of being harsh), which you don't want for your voice. The Rode mics tend to excel on female vocals. That's not saying it can't work---with a little EQ, you can make any mic work---but it probably isn't the best choice for your voice.

I haven't used a T3, but judging from my experience with their capsules, I'd expect the T3 to be fairly bright as well---usable, but less than ideal.

I'd tend towards those mics for female vocals, and towards a CAD M9 or a ribbon for male vocals.

Back