low budget microphone for classical piano recording

tguiot

Hello everyone,

I'd like some advice on buying a low budget microphone for recording classical piano. I've read some threads here and elsewhere but each situation is a bit different and there are so many choices that I felt I had to open my own thread.

Purpose: record my own playing, for work only. I don't intend to record something for the purpose of creating an album or posting youtube videos or whatever. It's just to be able to listen to my playing so that I can better identify weaknesses and improve.

Need: I don't need something ultra professionnal. Just accurate enough so that I can hear dynamics well.

Situation: I have an upright piano, a Yamaha U5 built in 2000; very good mechanic, nice sound, mostly equal over the whole spectrum, although a little bit weaker on the upper medium. The piano is in my living room, against a wall.

Budget: less than 100 €/$ if possible.

Many thanks for your help!

Thomas

Do you have an interface or are you looking for an all in one recording solution?

If you have an interface I would give the MXL V67Q Stereo mic a go, I have not tried it on piano but I think it would sound good for the price (shop around for price).

If you don't have an interface I would buy a zoom H2n or something similar.

Alan.

Thanks for your advice.

I don't have an interface so it's an all in one or a USB mic to my laptop.

I'll check the usb yeti and zoom h2n.

Any advice on how to position the mic? directly inside the piano (but bass, medium, upper register)? on top of it? a few meters away?

thanks.

With mic placement it depends on the type of sound you want, I like micing the back of the piano but some find this too dark. Here is an article that may help you.

Alan

Any advice on how to position the mic? directly inside the piano (but bass, medium, upper register)? on top of it? a few meters away?

thanks.

Classical piano recording is usually not mic'd up close - that's a pop/rock/jazz sound. I know you said this is for your own review and study, but I think it will be easier to do that if the sound is at least similar to the piano recordings you are used to hearing. I'd have the mic a few feet away. You probably can't go too much farther without the room sound becoming an issue (I assume you don't have a room with properly treated acoustics intended for recording). Listen for a balance between the room reverb and the direct piano sound. Adjust the distance to alter this to your taste. I don't know much about the Yeti, but I like the idea of a single point stereo mic for what you want. Messing with a pair of separate mics for stereo is more advanced than you need.

U5 is a nice piano. Uprights take some experimenting to get right, but I've found putting the mics behind you pointing toward the front of the piano is usually better than mic'ing the soundboard (your experience may vary). My last piano was a large upright similar to the U5, and the mic behind me with the top lid open worked well. Some people open the front panel up or take it off. Expose the hammers like opening the lid on a grand. You have to try some different things because every instrument/player/room/microphone combination will sound different. Have fun with it though.

Here is an article that may help you.

Alan

Great link.

If you want to record piano properly, you do it in stereo - so one USB mic is so limited. Uprights, because of the way the soundboard is designed mean that a mono recording position that is balanced, left to right is often right where your face is, so again, one mic is a big compromise - and none of my gear can handle two USB mics at the same time, so despite having one, it rarely gets used.

Plenty of quite decent small and large diaphragm mics around, with modest interfaces - although the requirement to supply phantom power usually discounts the really basic ones.

This sits badly with the budget, so USB in mono might be your only solution - which is a shame.

If you want to record piano properly, you do it in stereo - so one USB mic is so limited. Uprights, because of the way the soundboard is designed mean that a mono recording position that is balanced, left to right is often right where your face is, so again, one mic is a big compromise - and none of my gear can handle two USB mics at the same time, so despite having one, it rarely gets used.

Plenty of quite decent small and large diaphragm mics around, with modest interfaces - although the requirement to supply phantom power usually discounts the really basic ones.

This sits badly with the budget, so USB in mono might be your only solution - which is a shame.

You are right about needing stereo, but there are plenty of stereo USB mics available for low budget.

A pair of Line Audio OM1 (omni) - £99 each, can't go wrong. Or try CM3 (wide cardioid) if recording closer to the piano. Record in stereo definitely.

A pair of Line Audio OM1 (omni) - £99 each, can't go wrong. Or try CM3 (wide cardioid) if recording closer to the piano. Record in stereo definitely.

THIS! the cm3's are good because they are wide cardiod not standard cardiod, they are great mics, I own them, I'm sure the om1's would be just as good quality.

Have you considered handheld digital recorders? Zoom's H1 can be had for $80 (which is well below your budget). Definitely all-in-one solution. Decent sound and stereo.

THIS! the cm3's are good because they are wide cardiod not standard cardiod, they are great mics, I own them, I'm sure the om1's would be just as good quality.

i have both and they're both great. i like the cm3 slightly better and agree it would be great for piano.

Back