Looking for some more mics and preamps

danielheeger

I have been doing a good bit of recording lately. I plan on doing a lot more. I think I am going to buy some more mics. I just don't know what all I should get since there are soooooooooo many misc out there. The mics I already have: SM 57, Senhieser e609 and a blue Spark. All of them are good, I'm just trying to expand my arsenal. I have heard that the rode nt1-a is good. I'm also considering the blue bluebird and the blue baby bottle. I'm just looking for some more mics for micing 412 cabs, acoustics and for vocals. I don't have a gigantic budget. Also,I am considering getting some preamps. I'm currently running into a focusrite Saffire pro 40. Any and all help will be appreciated.

For cabs, I'd say 57s are fine. Acoustic and vocals I'd go with the Rode NT1a. I've heard it on quite a few sessions and its always impressed me. For the price, its worth it. Of course for poor people like myself, the price is still a hurdle. If you can afford it, I'd suggest picking one up. There are plenty of other options. Really no one can tell you what will be the best, it really comes down to trial and error.

I'd focus a little more on what kind of sound you want ie bright/muddy etc. What exactly are you lacking with your current mics thats giving you problems and the need to buy another mic?

For micing up amps you may want to take a look at a cheap ribbon microphone like the MXL R144.
New they are $89. used on ebay about half of that.

tbh, with the mic's you've got i'd say you've got the 412 amp thing covered (57's are mine and many others "goto" amp mics or the 609 :D). As moresound said, a cheap ribbon is always a nice addition so you've got more bases covered and can add a certain something to guitar tones that 57's don't capture. The Apex 205 is always worth a look as well as the R144 as moresound said. they also sound ace on acoustic guitars and some vocals (and a shed load of other things. i love my Apex 205 for a room mic for drums or strings)

otherwise, it's really down to what you feel you're missing. a pair of SDC's can always come in handy, especially for acoustic guitars or if you want to record drums, or a multi-patterned LDC, or a tube mic, or an LDC with a different tone from the spark (like you've already said)

For another LDC the NT1a isn't bad (although, if you can find one on ebay, the older original mat grey NT1 is smother sounding IMO) but i'd also say have a look at the sE2200a, the MXL V67, and the AKG C214 (or even the Neumann TLM102, all depends on your budget/taste/needs)

for SDC's, the oktava MK012's are outstanding for the price, or the sE1a's and MXL 603's

for multi-patterned LDC's i'm still in love with my Avantone CK7, but also take a look at the sE Z3300a

for tube mics, the Rode NTK and K2 are both cool as is the Apex 460 and some of the MXL tube mic's.

Have you got a ball park figure in mind for budget?

Last edited:
For micing up amps you may want to take a look at a cheap ribbon microphone like the MXL R144.
New they are $89. used on ebay about half of that.

I bought the R144, and let me tell you: WOW. That thing gives the most natural sound I've ever recorded. I was literally able to use my live sound, with just a couple teensy little adjustments mind you, and got a really good distorted guitar sound. Thanks a lot.

tbh, with the mic's you've got i'd say you've got the 412 amp thing covered (57's are mine and many others "goto" amp mics or the 609 :D). As moresound said, a cheap ribbon is always a nice addition so you've got more bases covered and can add a certain something to guitar tones that 57's don't capture. The Apex 205 is always worth a look as well as the R144 as moresound said. they also sound ace on acoustic guitars and some vocals (and a shed load of other things. i love my Apex 205 for a room mic for drums or strings)

otherwise, it's really down to what you feel you're missing. a pair of SDC's can always come in handy, especially for acoustic guitars or if you want to record drums, or a multi-patterned LDC, or a tube mic, or an LDC with a different tone from the spark (like you've already said)

For another LDC the NT1a isn't bad (although, if you can find one on ebay, the older original mat grey NT1 is smother sounding IMO) but i'd also say have a look at the sE2200a, the MXL V67, and the AKG C214 (or even the Neumann TLM102, all depends on your budget/taste/needs)

for SDC's, the oktava MK012's are outstanding for the price, or the sE1a's and MXL 603's

for multi-patterned LDC's i'm still in love with my Avantone CK7, but also take a look at the sE Z3300a

for tube mics, the Rode NTK and K2 are both cool as is the Apex 460 and some of the MXL tube mic's.

Have you got a ball park figure in mind for budget?

I'm really sorry about the delay in my response!
Anywho, I'm really trying not to spend over 700 on whatever other mic I'm gonna buy soon, seeing as my wife would have two heart attacks and a stroke, and kill me in my sleep.

As I already said, that ribbon mic has helped considerably. I was look at the NTK as you said, and it seems to be a solid choice and gets pretty good reviews online. So, I may just go ahead and make that little (or not so little for that matter) purchase. Thanks for all of your help.

I bought the R144, and let me tell you: WOW. That thing gives the most natural sound I've ever recorded. I was literally able to use my live sound, with just a couple teensy little adjustments mind you, and got a really good distorted guitar sound. Thanks a lot.

:thumbs up: My thoughts exactly when i got my first ribbon. i now want more :D If you've not already, try it on acoustic guitar with the Blue Spark in M/S :)

Without sounding silly, 700 what? $, £, €, some other crazy currency i'm not sure of. I only ask as, as a UK resident, £700 would buy a lot of mic, whereas $700 seems to be sod all in comparison (stupid exchange rates! :rolleyes:)

Yeah, the NTK is a cool mic imo. I'd be tempted to go for the K2 though, purely because it's multi-patterned and would give you more options, especially for acoustic guitar. It may be that you don't need/want the extra patterns at the moment (which is perfectly reasonable, i wasn't fussed for years as cardioid did everything i wanted it to do), but it's always worth thinking about the future

Yup, kinda cool - huh Daniel!?!

Vocal microphones can be a gamble and if your not able to try one before purchasing it, you could be disappointed.
I myself am very selective with tube or LDC microphones capturing my voice yet have sterling results using a dynamic such as a Shure SM7b or an EV re20. Both can easily be found used in like new condition at a great savings.

THIS SM5b is a great microphone for sale here at HR!

Back