Looking to replace my AT2020

oildrops

I am not liking my AT2020 mic for my vocals. It was a great starter mic, but I am ready to step up a little.

I do singer songwriter, vocal, small body steel string guitar into an Alesis io2 express, recording with cubase le5 and Kjaerhus plugins, and sometimes run my alesis microverb in line. So you see, it's a budget setup. I am mostly looking for high quality demo recordings, not trying to make a pro studio. I have treated my carpeted room against reflections with heavy wool blankets on the walls and it corners.

I would say my vocal range and timber is similar to Ryan Adams, if you are familiar with him. I want something with a bit more mid range warmth, but I don't want to spend more than $200. I may keep the at2020 to use on acoustic guitars, because it sounds great on them, but has never worked on my voice no matter what I do. Too harsh, too sibilant. I like how my AKG D5 mic works on my voice, and adds some warmth, but it's a better mic for live use and guitar cabs, and I prefer to record with a LDC. I think something in between the two mics would work well for my vocals.

I am mostly looking for another LDC, but opinions are welcome.

I use a Sputnik mic - got it for 300 US off ebay. Best low price condensor I've tried. It replaced my Rode NTK because it is cleaner, clearer, less sibilance, easy to eq. It's kind of a weird shape - like a lolipop - but after a while you don't notice it :) .

I use a Sputnik mic - got it for 300 US off ebay. Best low price condensor I've tried. It replaced my Rode NTK because it is cleaner, clearer, less sibilance, easy to eq. It's kind of a weird shape - like a lolipop - but after a while you don't notice it :) .

I was thinking about a used NKT, I'll check out the Sputnik. Is it a bright mic?

Yes - brighter than the NTK. If you do some reading on the U87ai, you sometimes hear it is "very precise" and people can't hide behind it. So they are disappointed when it doesn't mask their shortcomings. Considering it's price people expect it to be "magical". It isn't.

I've never used a U87ai but the Sputnik is very clean and doesn't color your voice either. There's a few reviews that actually compare it to the U87ai but I take those with a big grain of salt. All I know if the clarity is very good.

If you get a nice clean signal you can do lots with the end result with eq/comp/reverb whatever, but if it's crappy to start with, you can't fix it.

Ok - what do they sound like? I have a couple of samples you can listen to. These were pro mixed/mastered so the intent was to get the vocals similar in tone for the album. So you have to listen a little to hear the nuances of the different vocal mics but you should be able to hear a little more clarity with the Sputnik.

Make My Dreams Come True - this was recorded with my Sputnik
SoundClick artist: G and M Project - G and M Project

Sweet Addiction - this was recorded with an NTK
SoundClick artist: G and M Project - G and M Project

Again the NTK was a good mic and it will do the job, I just like the Sputnik better.

Anyone have any other opinions? Looking for something with less cheap high end sizzle brightness.

Oktava MK219. I'm not sure that you can get them new but they're really well priced used.
I find them to be a lot more natural sounding than some of the hyped condenser mics.

Bumping this thread, since I never actually bought anything! I know it's not hard to upgrade from an at2020, but if something can also sound good with my cheap interface it's a bonus. There is a harshness to the high end of the at2020 that I can't seem to eq out.

219 is still a great option then.
Definitely not hyped in the high end, but still a condenser mic so good strong output for working with cheaper preamps/interfaces.

A few mics that work well with 'my voice'. How these sound for your voice may be different and best to try out mics if you can.

These are all transformer coupled which I think help smooth out vocals.
sE Electronics sE2200a II C | Sweetwater
ADK Hamburg Mk 8 | ZenPro Audio
ADK Vienna Mk 8 | ZenPro Audio
If you can find one used.... Miktek C1 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone | Sweetwater (I got one off eBay for $350)

Good reference site for mic info....
Microphone Database | RecordingHacks.com

You can get into a tube MIC, also, but there is so much to aquire.

For me the cheap Nady has a quality I can work with. Its presence doesn't come off as humpy. It is a cheap MIC, so I don't mess with the switches. hah

Now, instead of my LDC, I get the cheap ribbons. I got the Apex 215 (?) and 205. my 215 is somber.

Nearly every AKG mic I've tried seems to flatter my voice, so those recommendations are appreciated.
Not sure if you were referring to my post. I had suggested ADK mics, not AKG. I do have an AKG C214, it's OK, but not one that I use much on vocals.

Not sure if you were referring to my post. I had suggested ADK mics, not AKG. I do have an AKG C214, it's OK, but not one that I use much on vocals.

Oops, I misread. I'll check out the Adirondack mics ;)

How would you describe your voice? The Two ADK mics seem to have opposite descriptions.

Caveat: I have not used any of these mics.

AKG 220 (a mere $150ish) seems to keep popping up in recommendations of reviews I see for less pricey mics; I'm considering it myself. Supposedly follows the same design as the U87 (not saying that means it's as good btw, but FYI).

The AT 4040 ($300) pops up semi-regularly on forums I see of people's mics they own/like.

If you're interested in a low-end gamble, IMO the Behringer C-1 (only about $50) held up very well in Sweetwater's mega-mic shootout against far pricier mics.

Also curious why you haven't considered dynamics when you want more warmth and less high end-? Sounds like an SM58 or 58 beta (which is a little brighter for a dynamic) might be the ticket.

Last edited:
AKG mics are usually very accurate and often have a bump in the highs that make them perfect for cutting through a mix but they are not very "flattering". The AT4040 is very flattering for most baritone through tenor male voices IMO. ADK has a rep for quality but I don't know how they sound on male voices. A Shure sm58 and beta 58 are both very usable and flattering for vocalists who sing fairly loudly. I can recommend the mid to higher priced large diaphragm mics from MXL also. I have heard good things about larger studio projects mic's but best thing is hit the stores, test different mic's and go from there

Lauten Audio LA-320 Tube Mic

The Lauten Audio LA-320 Tube Mic is $99 more than your budget but it is a great mic for the price.

RECORDING MAGAZINE:
"I did a search at a few online stores and there are less than five large-diaphragm tube mics in the $500 or less category, not counting sketchy no-name import fare. This places the LA-320 in a virtually untapped market, and it’s a standout not just because it has little competition. With a great tube-flavored but nicely tailorable sound, the LA-320 is easily among the very best budget tube mics I have used to date, and I can’t wait to try out Lauten’s other Series Black offerings."
FULL REVIEW: - Lauten Audio LA-320 Tube Condenser Microphone : Featured Reviews : Recording Magazine -

SOUND ON SOUND REVIEW: Lauten Audio LA-320 |

FROM "PERFORMER MAGAZINE":

"The street price is $499, and the package contains the mic, shock mount, cables, power supply, and carrying case. For singer/songwriters looking to take demos to that “good enough for the album” sound quality, this is the simplest and most direct method. Studios should consider making room in their mic lockers, but in all reality it will probably spend more time in front of guitars, vocals, and drums than it will in its case!"
FULL REVIEW:Lauten Audio LA-320 Review | Performer Mag

VOCALSVIDEO: Lauten Audio Series Black LA-320 - Vocal Samples - YouTube
DRUMSVIDEO: Lauten Audio Series Black LA-320 - Drums Samples - YouTube
GUITARS VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEJm9v-xxI

Of the solid state mics being recommended, the Hamburg Mk8 is a mic I am particularly fond of. Of all the mics that ADK has built up until for under $1000, the Hamburg is the one I am most proud of. The reliability of solid state, but the warmth of a vintage vocal mic. I know, I am totally biased, and I don't mean like a tape machine . . .

Cheers!

Larry V - ADK)))

Back