Looking for new OH mics -- any suggestions?

RobbieL

mr. president
I currently use a pair of these for overhead drum micing. Sometimes I think they make the crash cymbals sound pinched off. I've looked at buying a pair of AKG c451b's but they are out of my price range. Is there any pair of mics between $500 and $650 that would do well as overheads?

I use FatHead ribbons sometimes and like them ($375), I also use NT5s ($400) they are a bit dark but i like them.

I don't know what other people think about ribbons on overheads, but I really like them. They're not flattering but they do sound nice and have a good sound for classic rock and blues sorta stuff.

RobbieL,

I like the Audio Technica Pro 37. (37r is the same mic) These are SDCs that look similar to the ones you have. They have fantastic high end detail. Cymbals sound great recorded with them.

Looks like $120 at Sweetwater.

These mics also excel at acoustic guitar.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I've looked at buying a pair of AKG c451b's but they are out of my price range. Is there any pair of mics between $500 and $650 that would do well as overheads?

If you put a little time and effort in, you can find a used pair of 451's for that price.

The Audio Techinca Pro 37's are the best sounding overheads I have ever used........discovered them when I was still doing live sound and they have proved invaluable for recording also, great on acoustic guitars, have even used one solo to record female vocals with....................superb.

Well, I do use AKG451s for overheads and think they're great.

However, two cheaper options that I've resorted to when the 451s are busy on other things are the AKG391 "Blueline" or the SE1a. Both these options are in the region sonically as the 451 and do a fine job on overheads.

Bob

I love my Cascade X-15 stereo ribbon mic as overhead for my drum kit. They are silky and have a very balanced rendition of cymbals and drums ... And at least with drums you don't need 70dB gain ...

Back