Looking for mic to compliment my collection?

dickiefunk

Hi,

I'm looking for another vocal mic to compliment my collection. My budget is around £400. I currently own :-

Neumann TLM102
SE Electronics SE2200T
Audio Technica AT4040
Shure SM7b
Kel HM2d
Rode NT-1a
Oktava MK-319 (faulty)

I don't really like the Shure SM7b and tend to prefer the KEL HM2d for really bright sources. I don't use my Rode NT-1a either so am thinking of selling these mics to get something different.
Another option I'm considering is sending my Oktava off to be repaired and modded at the same time!?

What would you recommend?

Based on what you've got and your budget my suggestions would be either the Rode NTK, the Avantone CV-12, or perhaps a ribbon mic.

Take a look at the Avantone CK-40. Or the EV RE20. Then of course there is the new Se2200a MII.
I noticed that you had no SDC's.

I'd +1 a ribbon purely because I just bought my first ribbon and it really stands out in my collection as being different.
If you're looking for variety, take a look at some of those ribbons.

What's up with the 319? Perhaps you could get repair advice on here?

I'd +1 a ribbon purely because I just bought my first ribbon and it really stands out in my collection as being different.
If you're looking for variety, take a look at some of those ribbons.

Bet it's in the switches wiring.

Mine has become quite noisy. The noise sounds a little like wind blowing across the mic but of course it isn't. Also, it only happens with this mic. I've tried all my other mics through the same chain and these are extremely quiet. My initial hunch was it was condensation so I stored it in an airing cupboard for a few days but the noise is still there!

You know, I don't have an answer, but I have definitely heard people discussing a wind like noise before, and as you say, i think moisture and dry storage was mentioned.

I don't remember if there was a solid outcome, but it might be worth a search if you haven't already.

The discussion was with a few Shure KSM27's. Mine turned out to be a grounding issue to the body/housing which Shure fixed for free.

Back