Looking to improve microphone recommendations [music production gear table]

lotus91

Hi all, after many many hours researching and coding I just recently finished a site that helps people start a hobby - with music production being one of them. Essentially it's a table that's broken down into rows which reflect some of the best quality gear at the respective budget level, so as you go down the table the quality/price balance increases. I noticed that many people ask the same questions such as "What are the best headphones for under $xx" and things of that nature and figured this table would help a lot of new music producers get started with less hassle carving through dozens of articles and threads.

Here is the table: Music Production Table

I know there are always slighter better options that might be overlooked as new things come out / prices change and appreciate any room for improvement as far as microphones (or other gear) goes. If you do want to make an improvement just try to remember to balance quality/price for the respective row. I hope this helps some of you, cheers!

So as a 'Greenhorn' (know nothing) I look at your chart and decide on the most budget setup to start with. You'd be recommending to me the interface and mic I noted to start out with?

Attachments

• musicedit1.jpg
    musicedit1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Correct; 2 options are provided for microphones and interfaces to provide a little flexibility. At that level I did look for even cheaper options but the quality seemed to degrade far too much for it to seem like a reasonable choice.

If it was me, I'd spend a bit extra and get a 2 input USB audio interface (and make sure it has direct monitoring) and I wouldn't touch a USB mic since that will be self limiting if you decide to expand. We'd only be talking $15-20 more for a lot more future flexibility and upgrade-ability (if that's a word).

Correct; 2 options are provided for microphones and interfaces to provide a little flexibility. At that level I did look for even cheaper options but the quality seemed to degrade far too much for it to seem like a reasonable choice.

I think that you may have missed his point. If some random n00b looks at that list and arbitrarily picks those two components, he wouldn't be able to use them together. Because the USB mic is incompatible with an audio interface that expects an analog XLR input.

Ah right I can see how that would be confusing, thanks for pointing that out. It was more to provide the option of a USB mic vs. the standard condenser mic; or have the option to just their desired interface to pair with any instruments they might already own. I'm trying to think what might be the best way to position this to make the most sense - I'll definitely update the description for the level now to make that distinction so a user doesn't get those 2 together.

After thinking on this over another cup of coffee...

I wonder if the other thing you may wish to consider is not just equipment. A newbie could jump down to your "Extreme" level, buy the best gear in the world and still sound like shit in a typical boxy domestic room. I know that acoustic treatment would be difficult to add to your chart but some mention of it in a "Notes" section or something would be good, if only to stop people coming back and complaining about your recommendations.

After thinking on this over another cup of coffee...

I wonder if the other thing you may wish to consider is not just equipment. A newbie could jump down to your "Extreme" level, buy the best gear in the world and still sound like shit in a typical boxy domestic room. I know that acoustic treatment would be difficult to add to your chart but some mention of it in a "Notes" section or something would be good, if only to stop people coming back and complaining about your recommendations.

Absolutely room treatment or lack of should be considered. Tough to place in a chart but likely the most important thing ever is the room and instrument being recorded and how that relates to the results. High end gear will sound like crap in a crap room no matter what. No possibility of anyone arguing that.

Absolutely room treatment or lack of should be considered. Tough to place in a chart but likely the most important thing ever is the room and instrument being recorded and how that relates to the results. High end gear will sound like crap in a crap room no matter what. No possibility of anyone arguing that.

That's an excellent idea and yes I tried to address the previous point about the USB AI + MIC above (updated the cell hover description to clarify) - the point there was to provide the option of one or the other, or going with the standard condenser but in retrospect I realize this is more confusing to the user than helpful so I really appreciate your feedback.

Do you think it would make sense to a have a "Require Reading" type of thing that precedes the table and explains room treatment from a beginner level? Maybe covering the different types of 'around-the-house' materials for proofing could be useful for a newbie?

A newbie could jump down to your "Extreme" level, buy the best gear in the world and still sound like shit in a typical boxy domestic room.

A good point, even if it's not the one you intended to make. A newb might buy everything on the Extreme row thinking that all he has to do is buy the best to get the best results. Most everyone starts out thinking the path to a great mix is through expensive gear. This recommendation sheet actually perpetuates that myth.

I, for one, would have loved a list of recommended microphones for a crap room. My primary use is not music but rather with voice over. I live in a small pre-Civil War house in New Orleans with wooden floors, larged paned windows, and high ceilings. For me, the best results are from a hypercardioid mic or a large diaphragm cardioid mic in a Kaotica Eyeball. I can also knock some of the reverb out with de-verb plugins.

Hmm, so it might actually be more practical to have a separate guide focused on a combination of room treating and room types and then position a list of microphones with maybe a star-rating type of thing for a few of the most common types of rooms? Just thinking out loud; all of this feedback is really great and I definitely want to continue improving it.

This is a nice effort and great intent, but I'm sorry I see little value in anything like this, ie not saying yours per se. For one, your "level" is really "cost"......a seasoned pro doesn't necessarily need pricey equipment/etc. Also I would never recommend a USB mic to anyone regardless of their skill level, assuming their intent is to do some serious recording at some point.

Finally, regardless of that are the 2 biggest reasons this just doesn't work:

- your suggestions are highly subjective
- you only list 1 or 2 things at each price point, which means you're letting out TONS of stuff as good if not better (but again, that is subjective)....

I think people would be much better off if they did not look for or expect some kind of "cheat sheet" or shortcut like this to find the answers. Do research on the net, ask around, then do it some more. Gradually a pic of what works best for someone should emerge.

Back